Otome Hearts
[Collection] Japanese Suffixes 0tppz1z
Welcome to the premier reverse harem community!
Let's talk about otome games and things that interest you.

You are missing out on a lot of stuff, images and links are only available to members. By participating, you could unlock more features and hidden gems.

It sucks to be a lurker!

Join us in a quest for bishies, empty headed heroines, fun and ....and .......umm.... oh, great background music...tadah~!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Otome Hearts
[Collection] Japanese Suffixes 0tppz1z
Welcome to the premier reverse harem community!
Let's talk about otome games and things that interest you.

You are missing out on a lot of stuff, images and links are only available to members. By participating, you could unlock more features and hidden gems.

It sucks to be a lurker!

Join us in a quest for bishies, empty headed heroines, fun and ....and .......umm.... oh, great background music...tadah~!
Otome Hearts
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[Collection] Japanese Suffixes

5 posters

Go down

[Collection] Japanese Suffixes Empty [Collection] Japanese Suffixes

Post by WaifuOfTris 03/05/13, 08:43 am

Hello Hello Otomes~
I wanted to make a thread about the Japanese Suffixes. I know some myself, but I would like to hear from the professionals. c:

Also, a question since I've been seeing it in fanfictions...
Is there a suffix such as "-kins"?
WaifuOfTris
WaifuOfTris
Stalker
Stalker

Faction Faction : Joker
+Gold : 19
+Like : 0
Awards :
Events :

http://waifuoftris.deviantart.com/

Back to top Go down

[Collection] Japanese Suffixes Empty Re: [Collection] Japanese Suffixes

Post by venenatis-risus 03/05/13, 10:27 am

Oh, no, no suffix like '-kins'. That would just be used as a means to annoy the other person and is used internationally (Ronniekins from HP, for example) - unless those fanfictions are actually baseless and hold no research whatsoever.

The basics, anyway, are -sama (for extreme respect), -san (respect, i.e. meeting a new person), -chan (cute or childish, usually used for girls and little boys), -kun (usually used for boys, tomboys, and boyfriend/husband), -dono (for royalty, used in medieval times), -sensei (teacher).

I'm sure there are many more, but these are daily-used and most common~
venenatis-risus
venenatis-risus
Transfer Student
Transfer Student

Faction Faction : Clover
+Gold : 141
+Like : 8
Awards :
Events :

Back to top Go down

Post by WaifuOfTris 06/05/13, 08:28 pm

Oooh~
I see now! Then I guess I will stop using -kins.
Hmm... Wow...
That is really helpful to start off with! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Thank you!
WaifuOfTris
WaifuOfTris
Stalker
Stalker

Awards :
Events :

Back to top Go down

Post by Loren Leah 06/05/13, 08:41 pm

haha yeah, "kins" is a diminuitive we use in English.

Japanese is a syllable-based language, so it's impossible for words to end in any consonant except for N. Other than that they'll always end in a vowel. So you can tell by the fact that "kins" ends in S that it's not Japanese.
Loren Leah
Loren Leah
Bishounen Gemu Staff
Bishounen Gemu Staff

Faction Faction : Heroine
+Gold : 351
+Like : 22
Awards :
Events :

http://wednesdaysky.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by WaifuOfTris 06/05/13, 10:55 pm

Ah, I see I see...! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
man, I sure do learn a lot by you guys! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
WaifuOfTris
WaifuOfTris
Stalker
Stalker

Awards :
Events :

Back to top Go down

Post by Camembert 07/05/13, 11:17 am

I suppose the closest that may come to -kins would be -tan when referring to females and -kyun when referring to males (though I have to caution again that it's still not quite right). They're completely informal and are still only mainly used on the net...

Just for reference for other suffixes:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Camembert
Camembert
Transfer Student
Transfer Student

Faction Faction : Heroine
+Gold : 52
+Like : 5
Awards :
Events :

Back to top Go down

Post by Laramie Castiel 12/05/13, 11:44 am

Alright... I'm burning right up now! It's time for a... LARAMIE LIST! I'm thinking that this topic is more suited to be in the Language Centre. If I have the OP's permission, I would like to make a topic in the Language Centre about it. Otherwise, I'll just leave my list here. I'm going to list the ones that are often encountered in anime/manga/VNs.

In order to understand Japanese honorifics better, I want to explain a bit about the implications of using nicknames, given names and family names.

Nicknames are always the most informal choice, and is typically only used between close friends. In less common scenarios, they can be used to bully or otherwise, as an insult. An example of a nickname used as an insult would be Jeremiah Gottwald from Code Geass: Hangyaku no Lelouch. After a certain incident, his colleagues and superiors alike started to call him "Orange-kun".

Given names are also an informal choice, but not as much as a nickname. In most cases, this indicates a high level of closeness. You'll commonly see this between good friends, especially of the same gender. Occasionally, given names with no honorifics are used as an insult or the speaker's show of not respecting the recipient. This is commonly seen in Japanese media in rough and/or delinquent characters.

Family names are much more commonly used in general. Two people can be close to one another, but still refer to each other by their last names. You see this often in close friends of opposing genders. Sometimes, a character is simply very polite. In Japanese businesses and services, customers are referred to by their family names. Family names are the most formal and polite and in general, indicating a lower level of closeness.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] -Buchou (部長)
Spoiler:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] -Dono (殿)
Spoiler:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] -Chan (ちゃん)
Spoiler:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] -Kaichou (会長)
Spoiler:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] -Kun (君; くん)
Spoiler:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] -Nee; Nee-chan; Nee-san (姉; 姉ちゃん; 姉さん)
Spoiler:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] -Nii; Nii-chan; Nii-san (兄; 兄ちゃん; 兄さん)
Spoiler:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] -Sama (様)
Spoiler:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] -San (さん) *-Han (はん) in Kansai dialect.
Spoiler:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] -Senpai/Sempai (先輩)
Spoiler:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] -Ue (上)
Spoiler:

What does it mean when an honorific isn't used?
It really depends on the scenario, but for the most part, it indicates that the referer is very close with the recipient. In Japanese, this is called "yobisute ni suru (呼び捨てにする)" or "yobisute (呼び捨て)". Using a family name without an honorific does indicate a high level of closeness, but in most cases, referring to another by their given name without honorifics denotes the most closeness, alongside nicknames. Rude characters and people tend to drop honorifics. This is commonly seen in Japanese fiction in delinquent characters.
Laramie Castiel
Laramie Castiel
Bishounen Gemu Staff
Bishounen Gemu Staff

Faction Faction : Diamond
+Gold : 1815
+Like : 148
Awards :
Events :

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content