Otome Hearts

Welcome to the premier reverse harem community!
Let's talk about otome games and things that interest you.

You are missing out on a lot of stuff, images and links are only available to members. By participating, you could unlock more features and hidden gems.

It sucks to be a lurker!

Join us in a quest for bishies, empty headed heroines, fun and ....and .......umm.... oh, great background music...tadah~!

Japanese?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

default Japanese?

Post by CarbonIce on 21/05/15, 12:50 am

So I was wondering, how many of you in this forum knows Japanese? I've been really trying to get started but ...learning a new language is difficult and its extremely frustrating.  Very Mad

So ... how did you guys get started? School? Self-study? Anime? And how good are you in Japanese?

CarbonIce
Stalker
Stalker

Faction Faction : Spades
+Gold : 13
+Like : 0
Awards :
Events :

Back to top Go down

default Re: Japanese?

Post by fairth on 21/05/15, 09:44 pm

I've been self-studying since last winter (Was it November or December ? :T) but I'm a bit slow and taking a lot of breaks xD

So first, I started with the Ultimate Guide to Learn Hiragana (it took me two days) and then The Ultimate Guide to Learn Katakana (On Tofugu).
After a week of reading Hiragana and Katanaka, I started Kanji on Wanikani, while using Anki and trying to read texts with simple Kanji (With Jisho Online Dictionnary). Then I started reading Gantz in Japanese since it 's a manga I almost know by heart.
With all that, I started making vocabulary lists, I'm trying to learn them, while adding more.
Then, when I got more comfortable with reading Hiragana, I started basic grammar lessons, on "LearnJapaneseAdventure".

What I since November (6months):
Hiragana
Katakana
Kanji (240 with some basic radicals)
Grammar:
I went up to lesson 12 out of 31 of the basic Level (There are 38 other lessons on the intermediate level)
From here: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Guides to learn reading, and to give you an overview:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

The guy who made those guides gives you worksheets and online sites where you can train your reading, and what you've learned. He actually guides you all the way through it.
Such as this:
Drag'n'drop
or
RealKana

Then you have Wanikani for Kanji (the first levels are free, and then it's $10 per month, but still, the first 2 levels will keep you busy for at least 4months before you consider subscribing)

I'm using This site (Learning Japanese Adventure) for grammar. I read each lesson, and then copy it down on a book, and re-read them once a week. I've also copied the translations of the sentences on spare papers and I try to translate them back to Japanese to train my writing and memorize the lessons and vocabulary.
You should also keep a small book and copy your vocabulary in it: Each time you encounter a new word or a word you didn't the spelling, you copy it down, and check them at least once a week. hmm...don't write the translations in English in your lesson book however, nor the readings in the vocabulary books. It will make you lazy, and you won't really use your memory.

Also, you can use AnkiDecks if you have a smartphone. You'll be able to put your vocabulary lists, lessons, alphabets (kana, hiragana, kanji) or anything else on decks to learn on your phone.
Anki also works with Wanikani if you want:
You can export Wanikani lists to Anki...

Reading:
Some easy text to learn reading, and it helps building your vocabulary.

Online Dictionnary:
It can help you with some words or Kanji meaning/reading.

And then, once you'll join Wanikani, there's a forum where people help each others, with tips and other websites for Japanese, if you're a bit lost.

Also, if you have a DS or an Emulator, you can try Tokimeki Girl's Side: The kanji are really simple, and if you know the game, it might help you with the reading.

fairth
Mahou Shoujo
Mahou Shoujo

Faction Faction : Clover
+Gold : 334
+Like : 19
Awards :
Events :

Back to top Go down

Post by Pardo48 on 23/05/15, 04:48 pm

I started learning Japanese, but after doing researched I came to realize that I was simply better at Spanish and the Romantic languages in general as they are easier.

I always knew Spanish, but I decided to sharpen that ability to be able to put in on a resume.

The issue with Japanese is that such a small portion of the world actually speaks it and it simply is more beneficial to learn Spanish due to the large population. 

Before dedicating so much time to learning it come up with reasons as too why it is beneficial to the amount of time it will require.

Pardo48
Transfer Student
Transfer Student

Faction Faction : Clover
+Gold : 45
+Like : 0
Awards :
Events :

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content Today at 11:10 pm

Sponsored content