Otome Hearts
We need your help! 0tppz1z
Welcome to the premier reverse harem community!
Let's talk about otome games and things that interest you.

You are missing out on a lot of stuff, images and links are only available to members. By participating, you could unlock more features and hidden gems.

It sucks to be a lurker!

Join us in a quest for bishies, empty headed heroines, fun and ....and .......umm.... oh, great background music...tadah~!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Otome Hearts
We need your help! 0tppz1z
Welcome to the premier reverse harem community!
Let's talk about otome games and things that interest you.

You are missing out on a lot of stuff, images and links are only available to members. By participating, you could unlock more features and hidden gems.

It sucks to be a lurker!

Join us in a quest for bishies, empty headed heroines, fun and ....and .......umm.... oh, great background music...tadah~!
Otome Hearts
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

We need your help!

4 posters

Go down

We need your help! Empty We need your help!

Post by ironachan 02/12/15, 09:26 am

Hello everyone!

I’m a foreigner in Japan, currently working on the translation of an already published otome game. I want to ask the community of otome players some questions, so that I can make the translation as easy and pleasant to read as possible!  Sparkle

First off, as you know, for Japanese people, the family name comes first, and after that the person’s given name. In many games and manga, the translators decide to keep this name order to be more authentic to the original. In others, the name order is westernized for better understanding and to avoid miscommunication.

My question is: would you like to see the order of names translated along with the text, toward a western format where the given name comes first? Or do you like the family-name-first Japanese system, specifically in otome games?  What interests me most about this is how you would like to see your own name presented! Do you often use your real name? And if so, would you like to see it japanified or kept western? 

Secondly, I’m sure you know about Japanese name suffixes like -chan, -san, -sama etc, which are also often kept in the text when Japanese media is translated. 

The question is, again, do you like this practice, or would you wish for a game that ditched these things altogether?

Please feel free to leave all your thoughts, opinions and questions right here! Your help is very much appreciated, and I'm looking forward to hearing from you!

Thank you so much!  Embarassed/ Kyaa!

よろしくおねがいします!
ironachan
ironachan
Stalker
Stalker

Faction Faction : Diamond
+Gold : 3
+Like : 0
Awards :
Events :

Back to top Go down

We need your help! Empty Re: We need your help!

Post by Gigglepud 02/12/15, 03:36 pm

these are just my own two cents, I can't speak for the whole community.

> I don't really care about the order of names, it's not something that i pay a lot of attention to. However, when I write Japanese names, I tend to go with surname first, mostly because that's how I hear it (and hence are introduced to me) so I'm just following how it is presented to me. 
>Not really sure about the question about "your own name", though? I usually just input my name in English? 

>Suffixes are fine, I guess, if they tell something about the character (e.g. charac uses xxx-chan for ever single character or show senpai/kohai relationship). Putting a -san suffix behind everyone's name can become repetitive and tedious though, but i suppose consistency is also important. Once again, not that big a deal, though. 

Good luck with your translation! What game are you translating? smile
Gigglepud
Gigglepud
Stalker
Stalker

Faction Faction : Joker
+Gold : 35
Awards :
Events :

Back to top Go down

Post by _gianne 03/12/15, 04:03 am

* I'm not particular on it, but I think the Japanese order of names is fine. Most people are used to it and I personally find it weirder when people switch it back around. As for the MC's name, I usually just use my real one.

* I think it depends? If we're talking about a setting where there are lots of established relationships, then the suffixes would be pretty useful. But if everyone's on the same level of familiarity, then I think it would be fine to do without.
_gianne
_gianne
Stalker
Stalker

Faction Faction : Hearts
+Gold : 11
+Like : 2
Awards :
Events :

Back to top Go down

Post by ironachan 03/12/15, 08:25 am

Thanks for your help! It is very appreciated and helpful!   Ehehe~

Though there seems to be a little confusion about the player's names. My question is:

If you have an English name and live in a western country, you will be used to seeing your own name in a First name - Last name fashion. In games, it could happen that your full name will be called, or that some character introduces you or something, saying it for you. Say your name is Anne Smith. In japanese name order, the characters would call you Smith Anne. 

Would that feel weird, or are you okay with it?

Thank you so much!! 

PS: The game is highly confidential  wink Though, as a hint, it's already been released in English!
ironachan
ironachan
Stalker
Stalker

Faction Faction : Diamond
+Gold : 3
Awards :
Events :

Back to top Go down

Post by Zafyn 03/12/15, 07:31 pm

The order for the Japanese name is fine for me, I've gotten use to it myself. 

As for my own personal name I'd find it odd at first but then I'd get use to it.

Can't wait to find out more about this project, if you are able to tell us more later on.  smile
Zafyn
Zafyn
Stalker
Stalker

Faction Faction : Clover
+Gold : 4
Awards :
Events :

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum