Otome Hearts
How many of you actually want to go Pro? - Page 2 0tppz1z
Welcome to the premier reverse harem community!
Let's talk about otome games and things that interest you.

You are missing out on a lot of stuff, images and links are only available to members. By participating, you could unlock more features and hidden gems.

It sucks to be a lurker!

Join us in a quest for bishies, empty headed heroines, fun and ....and .......umm.... oh, great background music...tadah~!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Otome Hearts
How many of you actually want to go Pro? - Page 2 0tppz1z
Welcome to the premier reverse harem community!
Let's talk about otome games and things that interest you.

You are missing out on a lot of stuff, images and links are only available to members. By participating, you could unlock more features and hidden gems.

It sucks to be a lurker!

Join us in a quest for bishies, empty headed heroines, fun and ....and .......umm.... oh, great background music...tadah~!
Otome Hearts
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How many of you actually want to go Pro?

+10
billies
Sku
Her Cheshire Smile
KawaiiMess
Bu-Bu San
Laramie Castiel
eigengrau
Alera
umi~
Akuni
14 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

How many of you actually want to go Pro? - Page 2 Empty Re: How many of you actually want to go Pro?

Post by Sku 19/04/13, 08:37 am

Akuni wrote:
Sku wrote:I've attempted I guess you could say.
I have the diploma in Game Arts but the selling myself thing I'm not too good at.
I went to GDC (Game Developers Conference) back in 2010. Oh god, my ego just shrunk like sauteed spinach. Everything was so intimidating.... It's a hard industry to get into. Even more so with all the layoffs going around.
You really have to be people oriented and have network skills of the gods to get in a big name company.

(I use to want to go pro. For now I'll just continue crafting and sewing in my corner ; _ ; )
I have a few colleges in places/have work in: ArenaNet, Riot Games, 38 Studios, Valve, NaughtyDog.
Art is harder, Programmers seem to get in easier. :<

Don't give up Sku ^^; Its not easy but that's why its called work lol I'm sure you'll get better, build up a kick arse portfolio and maybe...idk think of innovative ways to apply to these places, they love creative thinkers....I'd think?

But I didn't know the gaming world had those kind of mingles o.o

Haha thank you for the cheer up! I did lose a lot of confidence during that trip. I still love video games and want to help friends with their games, but I don't think I'll put my foot in the door just yet. Right now I'm squirming my way into film entertainment (-ish, yay 3D conversions?)
I just want a cubicle and dish out assets on the task list lol

Indeed the mingles. I think it's suppose to be easier since the environment is more mellow? Catch their eyes, talk about them, talk about you, show your resume and portfolio ever so smoothly, slip a business card in their pocket. Haha! Sell yourself 101? Or just have mad awesome skills that everyone knows you and BAM, job offer.
Sku
Sku
Transfer Student
Transfer Student

Faction Faction : Hearts
+Gold : 69
+Like : 4
Awards :
Events :

Back to top Go down

How many of you actually want to go Pro? - Page 2 Empty Re: How many of you actually want to go Pro?

Post by Sku 19/04/13, 08:42 am

Ah, I guess I'll say another things about the working for free.

While in school, I learned that there are points where you'll have to work for free. Then when the product sells is when you get the profit, if it does sell.
My one college got a job, but it was low end, indie company that didn't even have an office location. He worked from home. They still paid him, on intern salary.
Uh, but yes! (I think I diverged from my point) You may not want to work for free (definitely not as a freelance) but sometimes it can't be helped (indie companies and such).

Did that make sense?
Sku
Sku
Transfer Student
Transfer Student

Awards :
Events :

Back to top Go down

Post by billies 19/04/13, 09:35 am

I think if you are an intern that's different. You still get paid at a paid internship or you get college credit if you're not getting paid. I would love to get an internship at a game company, even a tiny indie one. It is good experience and I'll have something legit to put on my resume + money or class credit ^^

What I meant by free work I wouldn't take is just a person asking me to draw for their game without there being any benefit to me besides 'publicity'.
Honestly there's nothing wrong with working for free as long as the artist wants to do it.
If a good friend asked me to work on a game with them and I liked their idea + had the time to do it, I probably wouldn't demand them to pay me if I make art for it because it would be genuinely something I would want to do.
billies
billies
Transfer Student
Transfer Student

+Like : 1
Awards :
Events :

http://birries.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sku 19/04/13, 09:51 am

Oh I see. I think maybe the way I worded that was weird?
I meant that when indie companies start out they don't always hire entry levels (or senior level cuz they're expensive). It'usually a team that starts out with an idea. They may use their initial funds for programs license and equipment but they're not paying themselves for their time. They'll get the profit after the product sells.

But yes, I wouldn't join a team and work with them if all they were doing was giving me publicity either. (unless I already have a retirement under my belt)
Sku
Sku
Transfer Student
Transfer Student

Awards :
Events :

Back to top Go down

Post by Her Cheshire Smile 19/04/13, 12:46 pm

This may be out of topic but I made a tiny observation about programming a game. That observation being: "Holy crap, how do they even keep up with themselves?"

This is coming from a girl with only basic scripting knowledge, so pardon me if I'm out of date with how a game's made. I don't necessarily follow the development pages.

A game, every game, is composed of codes even if you use fancy game engine. That code is manually typed, re-typed, re-typed, re-typed, re-typed until the programmer finally gets it to work. A programmer must always save his work and he must always check that every line he's typed so far is 100% correct because if he continues and even just forgets a single character, he's going to have a very bad time. Of course, he also needs to find a way to innovate the game to make it unique in turns of, well, everything. He needs to experiment with the codes; during this experimentation process, he's bound to not make it work ~70% of the time, and all this effort for just, say, one feature of the game. If you take a common RPG, the elements to be considered are: inserting every resource (BGM, picture, etc) where they belong and whenever they're required to show up, making sure the flow of the story is as smooth as possible, taking into account the consequences of a player's choice in dialogue, making battles occur, making battles random, making the enemy's attacks as much of a challenge for the player as possible, making sure the enemy makes a different attack depending on how the player attacked, making appropriate triggers for special events, making the game understand how to react to a player's change of stats, making the game react to a player's choice of move set, basically, making the game react with everything the player does in the game. And such everything could be anything, there are almost infinite possibilities on how a player decides to play his game.

Now, while otome games have, to use a thought by John Green, a smaller set of infinite possibilities, that takes a whole lot of work too. What more of multiplayer games? Just imagining how much work needs to be done for a complete game really makes me tear up.

So, my whole point in this long rambling of...well, nonsense is that I'd like to devote some time to appreciate the poor, wretched soul that is a programmer.
Her Cheshire Smile
Her Cheshire Smile
Mary Sue
Mary Sue

Faction Faction : Diamond
+Gold : 356
+Like : 20
Awards :
Events :

Back to top Go down

Post by Topaztan 19/04/13, 03:36 pm

You're a John Green fan!? Awesome.

I think Cheshire pretty much nailed it. 3D models also have their own difficulties and challenges. Even amateurs creating custom game MODs or ones using the Ren'Py software have to write codes. Pfft, you have to use code to make your Tumblr page look nice. I think we should all have a moment of appreciation for the effort the creators took to make the wonderful games we play. It is, after all, no doubt a difficult field to work in.<3
Topaztan
Topaztan
Mahou Shoujo
Mahou Shoujo

+Gold : 729
+Like : 19
Awards :
Events :

Back to top Go down

Post by Alera 19/04/13, 03:55 pm

Yes, all my respect for programmers! *bows*

What I've noticed is that you have to be a bit of genius in a way to be able to handle programming. A programmer's mind works differently, more logically. I've seen clever people just sit over a simple code and almost cry, because their mind just can't handle what's going on while others do the same task in a minute.

There's work for everyone out there, no matter how different we are~
Alera
Alera
Main Character
Main Character

+Gold : 327
+Like : 7
Awards :
Events :

http://psyalera.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Akuni 19/04/13, 05:47 pm

Programming has got to be the hardest thing I've ever seen in my life though D:

I can't even get my character's name to change colour in Renpy ;;

And Renpy's pretty basic from what I've seen. But what impresses me is what creative and talented people can do with the same tools. Some of these indie games made on the same engine that are free to download blow my mind, and I guess it just shows, don't doubt the tools and you can use what you have to still make quality work.

Hmm...I guess if you make a name for yourself, you can still break Pro ranks wink Maybe, you don't have to go to a big company or whatever, although that would be cool to learn from their experiences.

If you know of any intern opportunities share those too ^^ or experiences on which companies to go to. I use to be in contact with a lady at Valve.

But I'm waiting till after uni to pursue my hobbies.
Akuni
Akuni
Mahou Shoujo
Mahou Shoujo

Faction Faction : Heroine
+Gold : 606
+Like : 28
Awards :
Events :

Back to top Go down

Post by Dududu 19/04/13, 10:42 pm

I think one of the greatest thing about the community surrounding these games is that the general consensus appears to be an interest purely for the interest. People don't seem too concerned with becoming a 'PRO' and more interested in just making the games and playing them and enjoying them.

Personally I really just want to make something for others to enjoy, I've loved plenty of small games, and I want to give something back. PLUS! I mean, if you love books you might really want to write a book, if you love cartoons you might want to draw, just making something similar to that of your peers feels good.

I don't wanna be pro or anything, but in the future I'd like to release a few free games for people to enjoy. And to smother people with my own favourite parts of otome and similar genres~

I imagine working on little games beside whatever mundane job I get.
Dududu
Dududu
Transfer Student
Transfer Student

Faction Faction : Clover
+Gold : 155
+Like : 12
Awards :
Events :

Back to top Go down

Post by KawaiiMess 20/04/13, 12:15 am

Interestingly enough, one requirement at my alma mater for an illustration major was an understanding of basic HTML, CSS, and the ability to put together and upkeep your own website, as well as handle online promotion.

Now, I'm pretty bad about keeping up my website (IT HASN'T BEEN UPDATED IN TWO YEARS OH GOD), and I hate CSS with a passion, but me learning HTML and still retaining it made it easier when I was doing stuff on tumblr and made it much easier for me to get Ren'Py. Ren'Py's even easier than HTML because you're literally writing out sentences!

As a programming language, Ren'Py just requires that you remember to "finish" your statements and remember how your paths branch off. Luckily there's tons of resources (a wiki and a forum, which I refer to a lot) and several tutorials. I suggest making one simple game first with basic transitions, music, images, etc, to practice writing a Ren'Py script perfectly, then use that to refer back to how to close statements or write menus just in case.

I'm into comics. Comics is what I want to do for my job. As in, working on the publishing and business side, not just doing comics. VNs are kind of a side exploration for me at the moment, and I'm doing a day job while doing own illustration work on the side, so that's where it is at the moment for me.
KawaiiMess
KawaiiMess
Mary Sue
Mary Sue

Faction Faction : Spades
+Gold : 448
+Like : 27
Awards :
Events :

Back to top Go down

Post by Topaztan 20/04/13, 01:26 am

KawaiiMess wrote:Now, I'm pretty bad about keeping up my website (IT HASN'T BEEN UPDATED IN TWO YEARS OH GOD), and I hate CSS with a passion, but me learning HTML and still retaining it made it easier when I was doing stuff on tumblr and made it much easier for me to get Ren'Py. Ren'Py's even easier than HTML because you're literally writing out sentences!
LOL, OH NO. I can't even update my DeviantART regularly. xD; HTML certainly makes life easier for anyone who spends a lot of time online, CSS is just a huge pain in the-. But Ren'Py is actually so much more simple once you actually have it open. I mean, the idea behind it is simple to explain, but once you actually open the program the tutorials and wikis people have taken the time to write out make a lot more sense.
Topaztan
Topaztan
Mahou Shoujo
Mahou Shoujo

+Gold : 729
+Like : 19
Awards :
Events :

Back to top Go down

Post by Akuni 20/04/13, 06:41 pm

^Can't even master Renpy yet ;;

I'm gonna dedicate the summer to getting better o/
Akuni
Akuni
Mahou Shoujo
Mahou Shoujo

Awards :
Events :

Back to top Go down

Post by Sku 23/04/13, 11:45 pm

Found an interesting article. Thought some might be interested?

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Sku
Sku
Transfer Student
Transfer Student

Awards :
Events :

Back to top Go down

Post by Aiwethryne 25/01/14, 08:30 pm

Well, I've been in numerous video gaming workshops and such, so I definitely have interest in it. I would love to be able to character designs or story boards for recognized establishments, if it were just handed to me without much effort... Like Dududu mentioned, there is a difference between high interest and actually going pro. I want to create games for others to enjoy, but my aim is not making money, as nice as it would be.

I do have that problem with keeping up with updating my art sites, though I am actually not that interested in places like Deviantart, anymore. At least I still create finished things, even if I don't upload for the interwebs, and I can manage sites if I was really determined to. I actually have a main site that I keep hidden so that I unload a lot of information and art before I make it public. It's been like that for years...
Aiwethryne
Aiwethryne
Mahou Shoujo
Mahou Shoujo

Faction Faction : Spades
+Gold : 414
+Like : 20
Awards :
Events :

http://illustriousfathoms.wordpress.com/otome-stuff/

Back to top Go down

Post by kyuuichii 26/01/14, 05:52 am

Hm... about to go pro, maybe I want to become beta tester of the game...hehehe Nee, I'm feel so lucky if can be the first play the game Perv smile 

About to go pro (The Truth )... hehehe I want to become scriptwriter. All of the event and main story itself... I have many idea in my head  Judging you
kyuuichii
kyuuichii
Mahou Shoujo
Mahou Shoujo

+Gold : 945
+Like : 42
Awards :
Events :

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 26/01/14, 06:01 am

I don't know if mine counts as a hobby anymore. I'm making my own Visual Novel that I plan to sell once done, I have a composer, editors, testers and even voice actors for it and I'm doing art for other games as well. But I would def like to be doing this all for a company and not just individual people =)

Back to top Go down

Post by Akuni 14/07/14, 06:39 pm

^You could have your own start-up. I know indie gamers get invited to stuff and get treated somewhat close to real production companies~

I'm finally out of Uni, so I can start focusing more on the stuff I want to do. I can finally get these drafts out the closet 

(/ '  ' )/ .。.:*☆.。.:*☆
Akuni
Akuni
Mahou Shoujo
Mahou Shoujo

Awards :
Events :

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum