Otome Hearts
Japanese questions - Page 3 0tppz1z
Welcome to the premier reverse harem community!
Let's talk about otome games and things that interest you.

You are missing out on a lot of stuff, images and links are only available to members. By participating, you could unlock more features and hidden gems.

It sucks to be a lurker!

Join us in a quest for bishies, empty headed heroines, fun and ....and .......umm.... oh, great background music...tadah~!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Otome Hearts
Japanese questions - Page 3 0tppz1z
Welcome to the premier reverse harem community!
Let's talk about otome games and things that interest you.

You are missing out on a lot of stuff, images and links are only available to members. By participating, you could unlock more features and hidden gems.

It sucks to be a lurker!

Join us in a quest for bishies, empty headed heroines, fun and ....and .......umm.... oh, great background music...tadah~!
Otome Hearts
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Japanese questions

+24
Akitsuki
kyuuichii
kudaratan
Daeyamati
Waffle-chanz0
Bu-Bu San
Verdelish
Otaku-saan~
Kopin
Sku
Eryx
Clairbaby
Lollita
Laramie Castiel
Mirai
silverx
ara-ara
Topaztan
Skeens
SunshinexKite
BadVision
Blue_Sargent
xX_Lady_Vampire_Xx
Loren Leah
28 posters

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Japanese questions - Page 3 Empty Re: Japanese questions

Post by Otaku-saan~ 21/04/13, 01:57 am

How I envy you...
For a while I tried to learn Japanese on my own, but first of all I am Spanish, I have fluent English, but I still have things to learn and in the city where I live there is no academy that teach Japanese (my life sucks sad)
so I wanted to ask if anyone knows any website or textbook or something like that where teach Japanese from the most basics things (the more stupid things XD)
if you can tell me I would be VEEEEEEEEEEERY grateful :p
Otaku-saan~
Otaku-saan~
Stalker
Stalker

Faction Faction : Hearts
+Gold : 9
+Like : 0
Awards :
Events :

Back to top Go down

Post by Laramie Castiel 21/04/13, 02:15 am

I learned Japanese as I grew up, so I don't have know of many books or websites that are helpful. However, I have a list of links that I've checked out that pop up frequently in the "help with Japanese" forums I've been reading over the years:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] - This is a really good website. Not only is it easy to navigate, but they have information of the most important aspects of learning basic Japanese for free! They also have a forum, where I'm sure you can learn alongside other beginners or chat to experienced Japanese speakers questions. Finally, they have a shop that sells additional material that would be good buys if you have the spare cash for (optional) supplements.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] - Prof. Breen's site is more like an incredibly valuable tool for Japanese learners. His website is basically a gigantic Japanese~English dictionary that is free to use. I use the Prof's website when I come across words I don't know. You can also translate a bunch of text at once here.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] - Great for learning Hiragana, which is the very first script you must learn in order to read Japanese. It also has a Katakana (the second set of Japanese script you must learn) page.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] - I wouldn't say buy/read them all, but s/he has listed some basic books that look beginner-friendly.

The best way to learn Japanese is to use both books and the Internet. Books tend to be more credible in terms of accuracy, but websites are getting just as relaible. Don't just stick to one, and don't be afraid to post questions about whatever you're having trouble with on Japanese learner forums or topics.

The place you absolutely must start is learning Hiragana and Katakana. If you can't read those two, you can pretty much forget about learning more Japanese. Flash cards are very helpful in learning these two scriptures. They can be bought or made on your own- the latter which I recommend because writing the characters helps with memorisation.

Good luck, and don't hesitate to ask us questions!
Laramie Castiel
Laramie Castiel
Bishounen Gemu Staff
Bishounen Gemu Staff

Faction Faction : Diamond
+Gold : 1815
+Like : 148
Awards :
Events :

Back to top Go down

Post by Loren Leah 21/04/13, 02:37 am

I linked this earlier in the thread but [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] is my absolute favorite smile
Loren Leah
Loren Leah
Bishounen Gemu Staff
Bishounen Gemu Staff

Faction Faction : Heroine
+Gold : 351
+Like : 22
Awards :
Events :

http://wednesdaysky.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Verdelish 22/04/13, 10:27 am

やっほーー!Verde here. Gotta say, for anyone with an iPhone, I really recommend an app called imi wa? It's great for finding kanji by radical (which I often need to do if there aren't furigana) and listing all the compound words using a specific kanji. ^-^ It also has kanji listed by JLPT level, so it really helps me focus my self-study.
Verdelish
Verdelish
Bishounen Gemu Staff
Bishounen Gemu Staff

Faction Faction : Clover
+Gold : 80
+Like : 7
Awards :
Events :

http://verdelish.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Eryx 26/04/13, 09:31 am

Hello~! I have a question again. ^^;;
What is the difference between 'ni' and 'he (e)'? I'm getting confused with the explanations that I'm reading. XD;;
Eryx
Eryx
Transfer Student
Transfer Student

Faction Faction : Spades
+Gold : 164
+Like : 10
Awards :
Events :

http://flavors.me/eurydice

Back to top Go down

Post by Bu-Bu San 26/04/13, 01:27 pm

Soo much kanji >.<
I can't Read all that much kanji XD
Bu-Bu San
Bu-Bu San
Moderators
Moderators

+Gold : 605
+Like : 29
Awards :
Events :

Back to top Go down

Post by Laramie Castiel 26/04/13, 01:55 pm

~ "Ni" (に) or "E" (へ)? ~
Don't feel bad if you're stumped- Japanese particles are tough and "ni" and "e" are especially known to be confusing. To break things down, I'll try to "define" each the two particles:

Ni: "Ni" is used when you want to point out a certain destination.

E: "E" is used when you want to point out a direction of a motion towards a destination.

The difference is minute, but here's an important tip: There are many scenarios in which "ni" can be used in place of "e" in most situations and still be correct, but "e" cannot replace "ni".

Example 1 - When the two are interchangeable.

"I'm going to university tomorrow"

Ashita daigaku ni ikimasu.
Ashita daigaku e ikimasu.

What's the difference here? Which is right, which is wrong? The answer: both are correct. But why? "Ni" is fine here, because the speaker is talking about where they are going, in other words, a certain destination. "E" is okay here, because the speaker's sentence conveys a direction of motion which will lead to a destination.

So what you should have learned in the above example is that when you're not trying to convey specific directions alone, "ni" and "e" can be used interchangeably.

Example 2 - When "ni" is incorrect.

"I'm going north." (as in, travelling in the compass direction, not a Northern suburban area)

Kita ni ikimasu.
Kita e ikimasu.

If you read back to the defining differences between "ni" and "e", you should see that "ni" is incorrect in this situation. Remember that this is because "ni" is a particle used to pointing out a destination. In this example, the speaker is saying that they're going to go north, which is clearly a direction. Of course, since a compass direction is not a destination, "ni" is incorrect here.

Example 3 - When "e" is incorrect.

"I'm at work."

Shigoto ni imasu.
Shigoto e imasu.

After understanding the above two examples, this should be clear which one is incorrect. "E" is incorrect here, because there is no direction of motion to a destination. How can there be a direction of motion when the speaker is already at the location? If you're already at the destination, "e" is never correct. Using "e" in this scenario would be like saying in English, "I'm to work".

Since these are tough to explain, I hope you understood what I meant! Good luck. =)
Laramie Castiel
Laramie Castiel
Bishounen Gemu Staff
Bishounen Gemu Staff

Awards :
Events :

Back to top Go down

Post by Eryx 27/04/13, 07:16 pm

I think I get it. I'll read more sentence example about this two. As always, thank you Laramie! <3
Eryx
Eryx
Transfer Student
Transfer Student

Awards :
Events :

Back to top Go down

Post by Laramie Castiel 28/04/13, 03:02 am

No worries, Eryx. I'm glad it's at least somewhat understandable. I had to check and re-check 'cause I confused myself, sometimes. ;P
Laramie Castiel
Laramie Castiel
Bishounen Gemu Staff
Bishounen Gemu Staff

Awards :
Events :

Back to top Go down

Post by Eryx 28/04/13, 08:12 am

I'm trying to achieve N3 by the end of the year. But I have to polish my grammar since I've been abandoning that to focus with Kanji. ^^;;

So expect more questions from in the future? xDD
Eryx
Eryx
Transfer Student
Transfer Student

Awards :
Events :

Back to top Go down

Post by Laramie Castiel 28/04/13, 08:21 am

No worries. I'm working on a Japanese particles thread now, since most of the questions seem to relate to them. It'd be a good place to get all the info you need in one spot rather than fishing through older posts.
Laramie Castiel
Laramie Castiel
Bishounen Gemu Staff
Bishounen Gemu Staff

Awards :
Events :

Back to top Go down

Post by Laramie Castiel 28/04/13, 09:28 am

Sorry for the double post, but I just wanted to let you guys know that [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] I was talking about is now up.
Laramie Castiel
Laramie Castiel
Bishounen Gemu Staff
Bishounen Gemu Staff

Awards :
Events :

Back to top Go down

Post by Waffle-chanz0 03/05/13, 03:50 am

I'm so afraid of posting on here
I'm really shy, so... cx
I believe these are Japanese questions, yes? Well, I have a friend that just started getting into otome games and recently started studying Japanese. She, of course, struggles a lot with it since she just started, so she keeps sending me a lot of things for me to translate since I'm half Japanese. I know how to read it a bit, but I still find it rather hard. I can always ask my mom, but I don't want her to know I play what she calls 'cheesy, ignorant, naive, games'... D: Anyways, she sent me [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
but I can't read it very well and I don't want to give her a wrong translation. I'm so sorry if asking this bothers anyone, if so, I'll delete it at once. c: Thank you in advanced.
Waffle-chanz0
Waffle-chanz0
Stalker
Stalker

+Gold : 6
+Like : 0
Awards :
Events :

Back to top Go down

Post by Loren Leah 03/05/13, 03:53 am

Waffle-chanz0 wrote:I'm so afraid of posting on here
I'm really shy, so... cx
I believe these are Japanese questions, yes? Well, I have a friend that just started getting into otome games and recently started studying Japanese. She, of course, struggles a lot with it since she just started, so she keeps sending me a lot of things for me to translate since I'm half Japanese. I know how to read it a bit, but I still find it rather hard. I can always ask my mom, but I don't want her to know I play what she calls 'cheesy, ignorant, naive, games'... D: Anyways, she sent me [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
but I can't read it very well and I don't want to give her a wrong translation. I'm so sorry if asking this bothers anyone, if so, I'll delete it at once. c: Thank you in advanced.
It's a declaration to the MC: "Someday I'm going to become a man more worthy of you than anyone else." smile
Loren Leah
Loren Leah
Bishounen Gemu Staff
Bishounen Gemu Staff

Awards :
Events :

Back to top Go down

Japanese questions - Page 3 Empty ~mo nani mo

Post by Verdelish 07/06/13, 11:50 pm

Okay, I'm stumped. I can't find an explanation for the use of "mo nani mo". I know the literal meaning of "nanimo" but this strikes me as a phrase and not something to be translated literally. (Sidenote, I'm so not used to typing in romaji that I keep typing nani as nami, haha x_x)

Here's the context:
A: ああ、あの人のことか……おまえたちも知ってるのか?
Aa, ano hito no koto ka......omae-tachi mo shitteru no ka?

B: 知ってるもなにも、俺たちの可愛い担任の先生だ。
Shitteru mo nani mo, ore-tachi no kawaii tannin no sensei da.
I can understand the rest of this easily enough, and I can infer from context that the bolded part is something like "we don't just know her / we more than know her." It'd be cool if someone could explain it though. :face:
Verdelish
Verdelish
Bishounen Gemu Staff
Bishounen Gemu Staff

Faction Faction : Clover
+Gold : 80
Awards :
Events :

http://verdelish.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Laramie Castiel 10/06/13, 06:23 pm

Verdelish, I agree with your translation. That's right.

In more detail, it literally translates to "knowing [her] and/also anything/everything." I further interpret this as "we don't just simply know of her- we know [practically] anything and everything". It's tricky, because it's contextual depending on the previous statement or sentence.

I'm sorry I can't offer a better explanation for this- this phrase is a bit like "yoroshiku onegaishimasu", hard to directly translate well and still preserve accuracy. Especially since a male saying "we more than just "know" her" sounds suggestive, and possibly inappropriate if dealing with family.

However, your translation is what I would go with, since it sounds more like how somebody would actually word this in English.
Laramie Castiel
Laramie Castiel
Bishounen Gemu Staff
Bishounen Gemu Staff

Awards :
Events :

Back to top Go down

Post by Blue_Sargent 18/08/13, 01:42 pm

Amnesia is proving more difficult to translate than I thought... So... I need some help... There are a few lines I'm not sure how to translate, so I would really welcome some suggestions?

I'm currently at August 1st, Ikki's route.
Lines in question:

1) Heroine's phone starts to ring and Orion is trying to tell her that she should be more careful before she picks up:
オリオン:たとえばキミに一方的に惚れてる相手がいて、キミはメチャクチャ困っていたとする!
オリオン:でもその相手に『自分は恋人だ!』って言い切られて信じちゃう可能性もあるわけでしょ?
How would you translate the メチャクチャ困っていたとする here? And the second line?

2) Then there's Ikki talking about going to his home...
???あ、僕の家に上がるんならそれなりの覚悟をしてもらうけどね
I'm hopeless with "morau" / "ageru", so I want to make sure: Ikki's the one doing the preparing, right?

3) The MC can either ask Ikki where does he want to go or "今日は休み?" and if she ask that, the story goes like:
???は?休みじゃなかったらもう遅刻だけど?
???今日は、君も僕も休みじゃない。だからデートに誘ってるんでしょ
What's your take on those?

4) Orion wondering whether to go to meet Ikki:
オリオンとりあえず記憶がないってことは隠したまま、信用できそうかどうか様子を探ってみたらどうかな
I'm interested in the "信用できそうかどうか様子を探ってみたらどうかな" ... I'm rather confused here.

5) Ikki being surprised at MC using informal language with him:
???びっくりした。何?黙り込んでると思ったら、敬語を卒業する決意でも固めてたの?
Um???

I would really appreciate your help! (And I'll credit you too!)
Blue_Sargent
Blue_Sargent
Mary Sue
Mary Sue

+Gold : 483
+Like : 18
Awards :
Events :

http://www.ogtproject.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Loren Leah 20/08/13, 08:05 pm

Whoops, I'm late! It's been a couple days so maybe you found something else to do with these already, but just in case, here you go!

Blue_Sargent wrote:Amnesia is proving more difficult to translate than I thought... So... I need some help... There are a few lines I'm not sure how to translate, so I would really welcome some suggestions?

Lines in question:

1) Heroine's phone starts to ring and Orion is trying to tell her that she should be more careful before she picks up:
"tatoeba~ ~to suru" is a pattern of sorts, meaning "for example let's say that (x)"

So here Orion is saying "For example, let's say there was a guy in love with you who you didn't love back, and it was really troubling you/causing you problems.
But [because the heroine is amnesiac] it's possible that guy could show up and tell you "I'm your boyfriend" and you might end up believing him!"
or the like, depending on how you personally prefer to massage the script haha

Blue_Sargent wrote:2) Then there's Ikki talking about going to his home...
I'm hopeless with "morau" / "ageru", so I want to make sure: Ikki's the one doing the preparing, right?
In this case "agaru" is "ie ni agaru", i.e. visiting Ikki's home ("going up" to his place in the apartment building)
and "shite morau" is "I (the speaker) am going to have you (the person I'm talking to) do X for me". The person being asked to prepare herself is the MC.

Blue_Sargent wrote:3) The MC can either ask Ikki where does he want to go or "今日は休み?" and if she ask that, the story goes like:
???は?休みじゃなかったらもう遅刻だけど?
In this case, this is a wrong answer that's causing Ikki to be confused because this is information the MC should already know if she weren't amnesiac.

"???: Huh? If I didn't have the day off, I'd already be late for work by now.
???: Don't we both have today off?* That's why I'm asking you on a date."

*in this case "ja nai" doesn't really mean a negative, it's the slang version of "ja nai ka"

Blue_Sargent wrote:4) Orion wondering whether to go to meet Ikki:
"Orion: For the moment, maybe you should hide that you don't have your memory and go try to find out whether or not you can trust this guy."

The 'dekisou' in 'shinyou dekisou' is a conjugation of 'dekiru', where 'sou' basically means 'looks like X'. So 'shinyou dekisou' = looks like you can trust.
'dekisou ka dou ka' = whether or not it looks like you can
'yousu wo saguru' = check out/investigate how things look/the situation/etc
'~te miru' = to try out doing something

I wasn't sure exactly which part was giving you trouble so I hope this helps lol.

Blue_Sargent wrote:5) Ikki being surprised at MC using informal language with him:
Um???

"???: I'm surprised. What's up with this? I thought you were all quiet, but were you trying to work up the courage (ketsui wo katameru) to graduate from formal speech?"*

*of course given the background of the storyline that the heroine has no way of knowing, how she's not been interested in Ikki up to now (I think? It's been a bit since I played Amnesia), her wanting to 'graduate' to what would be a sign of closeness in their relationship comes as an even further surprise to him.

No worries about credit, I'm happy to help!
Loren Leah
Loren Leah
Bishounen Gemu Staff
Bishounen Gemu Staff

Awards :
Events :

Back to top Go down

Post by Blue_Sargent 20/08/13, 11:36 pm

Loren Leah wrote:Whoops, I'm late!  It's been a couple days so maybe you found something else to do with these already, but just in case, here you go!

Blue_Sargent wrote:Amnesia is proving more difficult to translate than I thought... So... I need some help... There are a few lines I'm not sure how to translate, so I would really welcome some suggestions?

Lines in question:

"tatoeba~ ~to suru" is a pattern of sorts, meaning "for example let's say that (x)"

So here Orion is saying "For example, let's say there was a guy in love with you who you didn't love back, and it was really troubling you/causing you problems.
But [because the heroine is amnesiac] it's possible that guy could show up and tell you "I'm your boyfriend" and you might end up believing him!"
or the like, depending on how you personally prefer to massage the script haha

Blue_Sargent wrote:2) Then there's Ikki talking about going to his home...
In this case "agaru" is "ie ni agaru", i.e. visiting Ikki's home ("going up" to his place in the apartment building)
and "shite morau" is "I (the speaker) am going to have you (the person I'm talking to) do X for me".  The person being asked to prepare herself is the MC.

Blue_Sargent wrote:3) The MC can either ask Ikki where does he want to go or "今日は休み?" and if she ask that, the story goes like:
???は?休みじゃなかったらもう遅刻だけど?
In this case, this is a wrong answer that's causing Ikki to be confused because this is information the MC should already know if she weren't amnesiac.

"???: Huh?  If I didn't have the day off, I'd already be late for work by now.
???: Don't we both have today off?*  That's why I'm asking you on a date."

*in this case "ja nai" doesn't really mean a negative, it's the slang version of "ja nai ka"

Blue_Sargent wrote:4) Orion wondering whether to go to meet Ikki:
"Orion: For the moment, maybe you should hide that you don't have your memory and go try to find out whether or not you can trust this guy."

The 'dekisou' in 'shinyou dekisou' is a conjugation of 'dekiru', where 'sou' basically means 'looks like X'.  So 'shinyou dekisou' = looks like you can trust.
'dekisou ka dou ka' = whether or not it looks like you can
'yousu wo saguru' = check out/investigate how things look/the situation/etc
'~te miru' = to try out doing something

I wasn't sure exactly which part was giving you trouble so I hope this helps lol.

Blue_Sargent wrote:5) Ikki being surprised at MC using informal language with him:
Um???

"???: I'm surprised.  What's up with this?  I thought you were all quiet, but were you trying to work up the courage (ketsui wo katameru) to graduate from formal speech?"*

*of course given the background of the storyline that the heroine has no way of knowing,  how she's not been interested in Ikki up to now (I think? It's been a bit since I played Amnesia), her wanting to 'graduate' to what would be a sign of closeness in their relationship comes as an even further surprise to him.

No worries about credit, I'm happy to help!
*0* 助かった!

Thank you so much for the answer!

1) I was wondering what to do with the "mechakucha komatteitatosuru"
Particularly how to interpret the "to suru" in this context...
As for the second line, I was thinking the same, but I wasn't sure smile

2) Ah, so I was right after all... See, I translated this one like this: "Oh, but if we're going to my house, you need to be suitably prepared."
But then I read someone's route summary and they translated this line in an exactly opposite way, so I came to the conclusion I may have gotten it wrong, because I'm translating stuff at 2AM, so I read dozens of articles on the ageru/morau syntax and got even more confused... Anyway, THANK YOU!

3) THIS! I've completely forgotten janai can be used like this... Now it all makes perfect sense!

4) Haha, I've figured out this one yesterday actually, but your translation is some much more clear! What was causing me trouble was the "yousu wo sagaru" part, but after some search weblio spit out some good translation examples smile

5) Oh, I had no idea about the "ketsui wo katameru" ... I thought it was all about something more like: "decide to stop using polite language" ...
Blue_Sargent
Blue_Sargent
Mary Sue
Mary Sue

+Gold : 483
+Like : 18
Awards :
Events :

http://www.ogtproject.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Daeyamati 22/08/13, 09:07 am

Hello all. I was going through my Ozmafia voice CD and towards the end of Kyrie's "good night" track, he says:
夢の中でも音もさせてください。
I can get the idea of what he's saying, but I can't quite put it into words. Can anyone help? Thanks in advance! Also I'm not sure if I got the kanji right since I'm basing this off my hearing lol.
Daeyamati
Daeyamati
Mary Sue
Mary Sue

+Gold : 308
+Like : 13
Awards :
Events :

http://en.gravatar.com/daeyamati

Back to top Go down

Post by Loren Leah 22/08/13, 09:25 am

Daeyamati wrote:Hello all. I was going through my Ozmafia voice CD and towards the end of Kyrie's "good night" track, he says:
夢の中でも音もさせてください。
I can get the idea of what he's saying, but I can't quite put it into words. Can anyone help? Thanks in advance! Also I'm not sure if I got the kanji right since I'm basing this off my hearing lol.
At a guess, what he's probably saying is:
「夢の中でもお供させて下さい。」
"Please allow me to accompany you even in your dreams." wink 
Loren Leah
Loren Leah
Bishounen Gemu Staff
Bishounen Gemu Staff

Awards :
Events :

Back to top Go down

Post by Daeyamati 22/08/13, 10:31 am

Wow, thanks a bunch for your swift reply! I'll be sure to credit you /o/
Daeyamati
Daeyamati
Mary Sue
Mary Sue

+Gold : 308
+Like : 13
Awards :
Events :

http://en.gravatar.com/daeyamati

Back to top Go down

Post by kudaratan 30/01/14, 01:08 am

目の前の戸袋のところに同じ制服を着た男子が佇んでいる。

i'm having a little trouble with this one--how should i write 'tobukuro' in english? it says it's a shutterbox, and i've google image searched it, but i still can't come up with a good thing to call it...  Frustrated 

can someone help me please?
kudaratan
kudaratan
Transfer Student
Transfer Student

+Gold : 91
Awards :
Events :

http://kersplode.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by kyuuichii 30/01/14, 04:23 am

Have you checked this wiki? [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.][You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Hope it will help you, if don't I'll try to look up again :p
kyuuichii
kyuuichii
Mahou Shoujo
Mahou Shoujo

+Gold : 945
+Like : 42
Awards :
Events :

Back to top Go down

Post by kudaratan 30/01/14, 07:18 am

oh, thank you! yeah, i dunno why i didn't check wiki. huge brain fart on my part...  :phew: 

so, it's some kind of railing that goes around a shutter on the outside of a building, right? i hope i'm not understanding that wrong!
kudaratan
kudaratan
Transfer Student
Transfer Student

+Gold : 91
Awards :
Events :

http://kersplode.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down