Otome Hearts

Welcome to the premier reverse harem community!
Let's talk about otome games and things that interest you.

You are missing out on a lot of stuff, images and links are only available to members. By participating, you could unlock more features and hidden gems.

It sucks to be a lurker!

Join us in a quest for bishies, empty headed heroines, fun and ....and .......umm.... oh, great background music...tadah~!

Pay or Free?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

default Pay or Free?

Post by ShiroyukiSatsuki on 27/07/13, 09:59 pm

Hi people:sunny:

I've been wondering about this for some time now. I am currently playing most of Voltage games in my android and as most of you know, you've got to spend some money on it. $3.99 for a full story of an average 15-16 chapters. I have always enjoyed Voltage games for it's high quality background music and CGs (though the stories and the guys also lured me in) so I felt that it's my duty to fangirl leave a nice praise for Voltage. However, I found quite a lot of people complaining for having to pay for the stories!

I mean, I understand that there are some issues with this:
1. Some don't have the credit card to use for this (either due to age or something else)
2. Some find it rather expensive (additionally since it's not voiced at all in my opinion)

Reason no.1 is fine with me but for no.2 not so. I mean, there are otome games which are a lot more expensive! (like Winter Wolves')

These things may affect the market of otome games, I think. I mean if fans don't want to pay for the goods, what makes a company wants to create the best otome games?

Soooooo I'm wondering what do you guys think about this? Anything is fine! I'm just super curious about what people generally feel about this paying issue.

Thanks people!yay!

ShiroyukiSatsuki
Stalker
Stalker

Faction Faction : Joker
+Gold : 17
+Like : 0
Awards :
Events :

Back to top Go down

default Re: Pay or Free?

Post by meluroo on 28/07/13, 12:25 am

Well speaking as an unemployed, recent grad, drowning in debt: $3.99 per character's story adds up fast. I used to pay double that per month just for extra icon space on a journaling site so if I had an income I probably wouldn't think twice about trying out one of the guys stories. But as it is now I'm getting my fix from free games.

Also as far as voltage is concerned I'm not sure I'm a fan of the idea of being locked into a route. I'm sure there's multiple endings but I like having the option to do it wrong. Hang out a little with everyone and therefore get no one.

meluroo
Stalker
Stalker

Faction Faction : Heroine
+Gold : 46
Awards :
Events :

Back to top Go down

Post by Mirai on 28/07/13, 01:18 am

meluroo wrote:Also as far as voltage is concerned I'm not sure I'm a fan of the idea of being locked into a route. I'm sure there's multiple endings but I like having the option to do it wrong.

Yeah, I agree with you there. Whenever I play, I like trying a few different routes, usually finding one I like though this process. Besides, you may end up buying a route but find it absolutely boring, not really care for the guy or just don't wont to finish it in the end. That was the case with me in some of the Voltage games, so that's a waste of $3.99.

Rather than have to pay for each individually packaged route, I think Voltage should put the game for one flat price. Even if it is a little more expensive than other apps. That way you know what you're getting into. It says 'free' in the appstore and that can fool a lot of people into thinking it is, thus a lot of complaints about price when they find out it isn't (especially because like meluroo said, it adds up).

Personally, I'm not a fan of it and this price issue with the Voltage games has been bugging me for a while now. Either be up front with the price or make it free. (Heck, if they choose to be upfront with the price, they can even put a pricetag on the epilogues). I think that way, more people would be open to trying the Voltage otome games.

Mirai
Mahou Shoujo
Mahou Shoujo

Faction Faction : Hearts
+Gold : 195
+Like : 7
Awards :
Events :

Back to top Go down

Post by Daeyamati on 28/07/13, 01:21 am

I can't really say much since I mostly play Japanese otomege, but like meluroo said the costs stack up. It's fine if you're only aiming for 1 or 2 guys, but let's say you have a cast of 6 and you want to pursue all of them; you'd end up paying about $24. Adding in the fact that's not voiced either... I personally think it's not worth it, but I do agree that people should stop complaining about it not being free.

Daeyamati
Mary Sue
Mary Sue

+Gold : 308
+Like : 13
Awards :
Events :

http://en.gravatar.com/daeyamati

Back to top Go down

Post by Blue_Star on 28/07/13, 03:42 am

Like a couple others mentioned, I'd rather pay a larger, flat price for a whole game than pay-per-route. :/  I tend to start off liking certain guys then end up going with other guys, so I like my options to remain "open". XD

Blue_Star
Main Character
Main Character

Faction Faction : Clover
+Gold : 76
Awards :
Events :

Back to top Go down

Post by Akuni on 29/07/13, 06:32 am

WHOA~ I did NOT know voltage did that. I dun have a smart phone so I don't know these things ._." but dang, that sounds like a rip off. I guess if you're the kind that would go after one guy and done, but for people who wanna 'zero' the game - I mean get 100% completion...like dae said, a cast of 6 characters+ it adds up.

But I mean, I think this was mentioned elsewhere that the gaming industry ain't cheap. They gotta make money somehow, but they should just sell their game at a flat rate. Cutting corners on price like that makes it seem shady and then when you find out, oh I paid 3 bucks for one guy, that'll set some people off.

But generally speaking, like people who'd rather just have free games, then I think its silly to expect a company to release only free games all the time or something. They have staff and workers going tirelessly that need to get paid somehow :/ So I think it's a bit unfair, when they complain about paying in general. If they want free games they can head to the internet.

There have been more indie people making some pretty ready to port stuff, so if they want their free fix they can go there. But don't expect a company to produce stuff for you for free, there's a lot behind the scenes we're not seeing that need to be paid for. And if we want it and want it to be good, we should be willing to drop a few coins in the piggy.

Akuni
Mahou Shoujo
Mahou Shoujo

+Gold : 606
+Like : 28
Awards :
Events :

Back to top Go down

Post by ShiroyukiSatsuki on 29/07/13, 08:21 pm

Hmmm so just to sum things up for now. The problem with paying lies in:
1. Having to pay for single routes
2. Supposed to be FREE (especially Voltage)
3. It adds up

So maybe games like Tokimeki or Love Revo will be better accepted? Since we all know how much it will cost from the start and we can pursue all of the candidates, making the re-playability extremely high which makes spending all that money worth it xD

Keep the thoughts rolling people! It's really eye-opening to read your comments so THANKS!8)

PS:
Daeyamati wrote:since I mostly play Japanese otomege
... I'm so jealous of you now... TT Can you speak (or read) Japanese?

ShiroyukiSatsuki
Stalker
Stalker

+Gold : 17
Awards :
Events :

Back to top Go down

Post by Daeyamati on 30/07/13, 04:56 am

This may be totally off-topic, but I also think part of the problem lies with some people thinking they're entitled to free games, especially with the advent of the internet. As an avid gamer myself, I think it's absolutely ridiculous considering how much blood, sweat, and tears goes into game developing. There are free games out there, and it would be nice if there were more, but one shouldn't expect it to be free all the time. Gaming is a luxury, not a necessity.
ShiroyukiSatsuki wrote:... I'm so jealous of you now... TT Can you speak (or read) Japanese?
I can  understand Japanese, but my listening comprehension is stronger than my reading. I do know basic Japanese phrases but I'm sure I would sound silly if I tried speaking it so I don't. I consider myself a beginner so overall my skills aren't that great :x

Daeyamati
Mary Sue
Mary Sue

Awards :
Events :

Back to top Go down

Post by Mirai on 30/07/13, 06:51 pm

You know I've been looking into this price issue some more and I think I just figured out why Voltage doesn't put a flat price on their games.

Let's take for example the game My Forged Wedding. Here's what they currently charge if you wanted to completely finish one character's route.

(15 Chapters) Main Story: $3.99
+(2 Chapters) Epilogue: $1.99
+(10 Chapters) Sequel: $3.99
+(2 Chapters) Sequel Epilogue: $1.99
+(10 Chapters) Season 2 Main Story: $3.99
+(2 Chapters) Season 2 Epilogue: $1.99
+(3 Chapters) Side Story: $2.99=
$20.93

So if you're a completionist and absolutely need to play every chapter for Saeki's route, it's gonna run you 20 bucks.

Now there's 6 guys to choose from.
Yamato, Saeki, Ren, Takao, Yuta and Kunihiko (I won't include Kyoichi yet).

$20.93 x 6 Characters=
+(15 Chapters) Kyoichi Main Story: $3.99=
$129.57

So, the reason Voltage aren't putting their games out for one flat price is probably because they cost so much more than any other app on the app store. (It's the same in Japan too apparently).

On a side note, I don't get how 15 Chapters cost $3.99 but 2 Chapters are $1.99. 
This annoys me to no end because essentially, they're putting out less and less content for more money than it's even worth.

Heck, take Hakuouki, it's only $34.43 right now. And it has better art, all of the characters are available right away, and full voice acting and it's still cheaper than most of Voltage's games. Maybe it's a little unfair to compare the two but it just irks me that one of the better Otoge's is still a hell of a lot cheaper than an app. Not even something with a pretty box or an art book, AN APP! T.T

Now, despite that, I do like the Voltage games, they're not terrible but I just wish the pricetag matched the product. Because I'm sure it cost some money to develop this, but I think it's nearly as much as what they're asking for.

Last edited by Mirai on 30/07/13, 10:33 pm; edited 1 time in total

Mirai
Mahou Shoujo
Mahou Shoujo

Awards :
Events :

Back to top Go down

Post by Akuni on 30/07/13, 09:24 pm

^HOLY CRAP MIRAI THAT MATHWORK D:

Sad to say, when you put it that way you kinda don't want to invest in a game like that. You'd rather buy a one off box purchase and just play the game through, as many times as you want, as many routes you want at no extra cost. Maybe its for people who aren't completionists and just wanna play their fav guy route or w/e idk.

But what Dae said, people think they're entitled to free games, and truthfully, I've been practicing making games that intend to release for free, but that's MY CHOICE, now off me and onto some really great indie developers, I can't tell how many people put pressure on them to release their games for free just for their fans. I mean ugh it just irks me man...

Had to delete my rant :c

Akuni
Mahou Shoujo
Mahou Shoujo

+Gold : 606
+Like : 28
Awards :
Events :

Back to top Go down

Post by Mirai on 31/07/13, 01:34 am

Akuni wrote:^HOLY CRAP MIRAI THAT MATHWORK D:
Ironically enough, I'm terrible at math too. Crying 

Maybe its for people who aren't completionists and just wanna play their fav guy route or w/e idk.
Yeah, you got a point there. Still, wayyyy too much money >.> (Well somewhat)

Right now it seems like Voltage is the only one releasing these phone based Otoge's (I think), so I can't help but wonder if looking at their prices, a new company might start releasing phone-based Otoge's too. Or maybe just Voltage will continue to do it instead.

Either way, if a game's reasonably priced and you want to support it, I see no reason why you shouldn't get it (even if you have to save for a while to do so). Those're my two cents.

Mirai
Mahou Shoujo
Mahou Shoujo

Awards :
Events :

Back to top Go down

Post by Blue_Star on 31/07/13, 02:11 am

129.97?  Wow, man.  Wow. O_o

Voltage is smart. They charge such little amounts that you don't really think about how much it all costs to play every aspect of the game.  I don't think any of us actually thought that it cost that much to play the whole thing. 

While Voltage deserves support, I think I'll stick with the console/PC otome games. XD

Blue_Star
Main Character
Main Character

+Gold : 76
Awards :
Events :

Back to top Go down

Post by Sayolizz on 13/08/13, 12:17 pm

Since I'm still unemployed and still elementary student,I usually play free otome games. I don't buy any game. But when I already have enough money I'll try buying some games. :D

-Got from INTERNET
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.][You must be registered and logged in to see this image.][You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Sayolizz
Main Character
Main Character

Faction Faction : Diamond
+Gold : 128
Awards :
Events :

Back to top Go down

Post by insight_blue on 15/08/13, 11:21 pm

I don't mind paying for a good game. In fact, I just bought my first game, and there are a couple more I'll probably buy. The others have been free though. I was wondering how these Voltage games work, and like I said...I don't mind paying for a good game, but $129?? That's crazy. I'd rather pay a flat fee also. Thank you Mirai for adding that up, because now I have an idea of how much it would cost me.

Does anyone think the Voltage games are worth it? I think I'm a completionist also...so I'm afraid of getting in over my head.

insight_blue
Main Character
Main Character

+Gold : 191
+Like : 12
Awards :
Events :

http://insightblue.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Daeyamati on 15/08/13, 11:49 pm

insight_blue wrote:Does anyone think the Voltage games are worth it? I think I'm a completionist also...so I'm afraid of getting in over my head.
 Imo Voltage games aren't worth it. They're fairly short and aren't voiced, so it's definitely not worth the price. You can get a full Japanese otomege for around the same price (that's including shipping) or even cheaper with full/partial voice and longer gameplay.

I know not everyone can get their hands on a Japanese otomege though, either because of the language barrier, money, or both; so I do have to applaud Voltage for releasing their games in English.

Daeyamati
Mary Sue
Mary Sue

Awards :
Events :

Back to top Go down

Post by chiruchan on 06/11/13, 04:42 pm

Well, I never really interested to mobile games except those gree games (but I have to root my android for this) and Amnesia project...
I don't really like paying for every route...
and those math... If you have to pay 200 for complete game... it's just too expensive for that... *those games are not even fully voiced?Very Mad 
I survived otome gaming live for PC and PSP because I buy my games from second hand shop in Japan (they sell half priced with pretty perfect condition in half price - like I got Amnesia for only 2300Y - about USD 20$) - but yes, it's difficuly to get... but still 200 is too much...

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
otomenoheya.wordpress.com | otomenoheya.tumblr.com

chiruchan
Transfer Student
Transfer Student

Faction Faction : Spades
+Gold : 100
+Like : 2
Awards :
Events :

http://otomenoheya.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post by FlyingTripod on 23/11/13, 04:01 pm

I prefer free high quality games (I mean, who doesn't?)

But I'm willing to pay for some seriously great games (IF I only had the money for Dandelions. ;__wink. Voltage games look good, but it doesn't seem worth paying for. And when I saw the math, I'm now fully convinced that it's really not worth it.

Doppelganger - Dawn of the Inverted Soul     Fantasia, The Realm of Thanos     Fantasia, Requiem of the Abyss     Lucky Rabbit Reflex     Nicole     (P)lanets     Blue Rose     The Royal Trap     Heartstring Bugs     Tokimeki Memorial Girl's Side 1     Days of the Divine     Nacira     Summer Found Me     The Knife of the Traitor

Neo
Oswald
Cain
Rhett
Ted
Kaius
Aran
Callum
Travis
Chase
Kei
Senrei
Nakula
Devlin
Corvis

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

FlyingTripod
Transfer Student
Transfer Student

+Gold : 48
Awards :
Events :

Back to top Go down

Post by zetsubou on 24/11/13, 03:03 am

I personally don't like paying for specific routes, and would rather just pay the full price and get all of them at once, in the same game. 

I recently got Lucky Rabbit Reflex!, an English otome. It was 20$, and there are 5 dateable guys with 2 endings each (and a dual ending with another guy where you have to choose at the end), 1 secret guy, and 5 girls that you can pursue as best friends, that have their own endings.

I'd much rather that than paying however many dollars for one route, honestly. But I guess it makes sense if you don't think you'd like a specific character's route ?
It's just not something I would do, I think. 
But I am 100% behind paying for good otome, please support the devs if you can, so they can make more otome for us to enjoy.Crying

zetsubou
Transfer Student
Transfer Student

+Gold : 46
Awards :
Events :

Back to top Go down

Post by asaena on 07/01/14, 08:18 am

I've paid for voltage routes, some of their routes have great characters; but usually AFTER someone else has played & reviewed it and I feel it's worth looking into (or there was a nice sale on :D ). 

I'm also not a person as interested in Seiyuu compared to most and am more interested in really good plot/character development & art but I definitely agree that paying for $5 to be locked into one character route is a little frustrating. Some of the sequel routes only wind up with one CG for the same price as the normal route with about ~3 CGs I believe. 

Anyway, I agree with most in the saying you get your moneys worth with PC/PSP games. Voltage games do add up to a insane cost and luckily I don't feel the need to run through every route. 

Overall, I definitely like good free games, but I'm definitely willing to spend money on any English otome games that I deem worth the cost & PSP/PC games are usually the go to ones as opposed to iOS/Android. Of course, supporting English otome games are always great. But, you do need to look at what you're getting and ask yourself whether you feel it's worth what you're paying for. smile

asaena
Stalker
Stalker

+Gold : 34
Awards :
Events :

http://justallthatjazz.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Reina-chan on 07/01/14, 01:30 pm

Wow... the math... I've never thought about how much it'll sum up but now, that's really a big amount. It's frustrating when you're locked on one route, I've tried some of Voltage (and Solmare)'s games, I've heard others said this before, and yes it's like reading a kinetic novel, 'cuz the only thing that changes in the whole route is the ending. If you got the choices wrong, you'll get a happy end, and a super happy end is what you get for all correct choices. Other than that, all the chapters before the ending remain the same.
If you buy a whole game and shape up your own route, the interactions, how the characters treat you will change as the story goes. That's what makes it fun!  Ehehe~ 
I hate to say this but Solmare's using that pay-per-route system same as Voltage, and they're putting out new games with high speed, sticking with 3-guys-per-game style too -_- Whyyyyy? Quality is better than quantity. They can take time to develope the writing more and at least put in more guys?
I feel like I'm being ripped off by English developers these days... just because they know we're (or I am) desperate for english otoges sad

Reina-chan
Transfer Student
Transfer Student

+Gold : 69
+Like : 3
Awards :
Events :

Back to top Go down

Post by celasvictoria on 07/01/14, 03:33 pm

I prefer paid games. Yeah, Voltage's system isn't the best and the games only get more expensive with time (since they're always releasing updates for their games) but I prefer that over those "free" games like the gree ones (or others with similar systems).

I've finished only one route in a gree game, and by the end of it, I didn't care about the characters anymore. I could barely remember what had happened during the route.

Now that I can play Japanese otoges I won't be playing these as much as I did (I've already spent so much on Voltage, I don't even want to do the math  :p ) but because of this I learned that, unfortunately, good seiyuus or beautiful art not always means a good game.

celasvictoria
Main Character
Main Character

+Gold : 115
+Like : 6
Awards :
Events :

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 07/01/14, 06:09 pm

I love you  it depends on the game developer and how good i heard the game was  sometimes i'll buy games to support the artists.

I love you im an artist too and it's not always the best paying job (depending) its also really hard work. 

I love you I must say im not always crazy for GREE  but there are some great free games out there. I also play games from the Japanese itunes too 

I love you in my opinion if EVERY otoge was free i think we'd have less games in genera and if there were no free games well i'd still have a passion but i would still wish there was some free games

I love you i feel it's a privilege to be able to have these free games not a right. we'd have much more people that would be falsely  playing otome games instead of them loving it if every game existed was free/cheap.

Back to top Go down

Post by Laramie Castiel on 11/01/14, 12:26 pm

I'm pretty much in the same boat as you guys: the advent of getting various crap for free on the Internet has imbued people with a very misguided sense of entitlement.

I often hear arguments that basically follow the "I have a right to play games, I shouldn't be denied of my enjoyment just because I can't afford them at the moment" line of logic. Products from the arts and entertainment industries are not HUMAN RIGHTS. Where do these idiots get off placing VNs in the same category of importance as food, water, shelter, etc.

That being said, these microtransaction VNs are crazy! I knew that the dollars add up, but after you guys crunched the numbers, it really sinks in. I don't play mobile otome games not because of money reasons, but because I'm happy with what the PC and PSP productions have to offer. Even so, 2013 was a pretty bleak year for VNs in general IMO, though.

Laramie Castiel
Bishounen Gemu Staff
Bishounen Gemu Staff

Faction Faction : Diamond
+Gold : 1808
+Like : 141
Awards :
Events :

Back to top Go down

Post by Aiwethryne on 22/01/14, 11:22 am

Of course the paid versions are superior to the free ones, but there are some rather decent free games (not just talking about Voltage) with the option to pay to go fast. I would totally eat up some routes if people gave me Google Play gift cards and such, but right now I'll just stick with the free games and spend money on non-phone games. I don't mind all that much, since the sheer number of free otoge I'm playing at the same time is almost overwhelming and keeps my interest.

I frankly don't mind if games don't have voice acting at all. I would only have an issue if a game had voice acting in the beginning part of the game then it's completely mute for the duration of the last half. *coughtalesoflegendiawhichisnotavn* But developers like Koyonplete are constantly adding more features to their games to make the money spent more worth the while. Only recently... yesterday... was one of its games updated to add music to iPhones, or maybe just iOS in general, while my Android tablet had it all this time.

I think I have more to say, but I'm tired enough to stop for now.

BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH

Aiwethryne
Mahou Shoujo
Mahou Shoujo

+Gold : 414
+Like : 20
Awards :
Events :

http://illustriousfathoms.wordpress.com/otome-stuff/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content Today at 07:02 pm