Otome Hearts

Welcome to the premier reverse harem community!
Let's talk about otome games and things that interest you.

You are missing out on a lot of stuff, images and links are only available to members. By participating, you could unlock more features and hidden gems.

It sucks to be a lurker!

Join us in a quest for bishies, empty headed heroines, fun and ....and .......umm.... oh, great background music...tadah~!

Struggleing with Japanese

View previous topic View next topic Go down

default Struggleing with Japanese

Post by Bu-Bu San on 26/05/13, 05:50 pm

Hey all
I have managed to learn particals, learn general structure of the language, I remember hiragana/katakana an some kanji

But when I comes to learn the vocabulary I am just struggleing on remembering it

I have become really far behind at uni because of it

Is it normal for me to be struggleing with vocabulary so much?
This is also the first time I have studyed it before

Bu-Bu San
Moderators
Moderators

Faction Faction : Heroine
+Gold : 605
+Like : 29
Awards :
Events :

Back to top Go down

default Re: Struggleing with Japanese

Post by spicy_diamond on 26/05/13, 07:49 pm

From my experience? Repetition, repetition, repetition. The only reason I know as many words as I do is that I've heard them so many times and they finally started to stick.

You might also consider your learning style. Do you learn better visually? Or are you more of a note based studier? You can always switch some things up to see if that helps get the juices flowing. Be creative! Having trouble with nouns? Why not label everything in your house with Japanese sticky notes? It's just a matter of finding what works for you. XD

spicy_diamond
OH! Scanlator
OH! Scanlator

Faction Faction : Joker
+Gold : 451
+Like : 22
Awards :
Events :

http://spicy-diamond.livejournal.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Bu-Bu San on 27/05/13, 01:43 am

Yeah I'm a visual learner

I have tried repetition I'll remember it for a short time
Then I'll forget >.<'

Yep the nouns are evil (ーー;)

Bu-Bu San
Moderators
Moderators

Faction Faction : Heroine
+Gold : 605
+Like : 29
Awards :
Events :

Back to top Go down

Post by Laramie Castiel on 27/05/13, 12:35 pm

If you're a visual learner, I recommend you to make your own flash cards, better yet, with pictures that are heavily associated with the meanings of the words.

And yes, it really comes to down to repetition. You find the way you remember the words the best, and just repeat! You must repeat everyday. Sadly, most people only remember about 50% of anything they learn in a day.

My otome media review blog, Purple Nurple Wonderland!

Laramie Castiel
Bishounen Gemu Staff
Bishounen Gemu Staff

Faction Faction : Diamond
+Gold : 1808
+Like : 141
Awards :
Events :

Back to top Go down

Post by spicy_diamond on 27/05/13, 07:06 pm

Laramie Castiel wrote:If you're a visual learner, I recommend you to make your own flash cards, better yet, with pictures that are heavily associated with the meanings of the words.
Flash cards with pictures is an awesome idea for visual learning. Also don't be shy about checking out what might be available to you via your local library. I've seen an influx of really nice children's 'First words in a foreign language' books being published lately - big awesome pictures and noun centric. So you never know what you might find.

And of course, there are plenty of other ways to immerse yourself. Take some time each day to play a little otoge and have yourself pay extra attention to the words you see and hear. (It's for school, after all. ^.~)

spicy_diamond
OH! Scanlator
OH! Scanlator

+Gold : 451
+Like : 22
Awards :
Events :

http://spicy-diamond.livejournal.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Diedie on 29/05/13, 12:27 am

I'm wondering...Please don't mind my assumptions ;w; But...
Since you're on this forum I assume you like otome games and such yes?

When you play them, are you using programs to translate the text into English or are you playing them raw?

For me personally, I play it raw.
My weakness is recognition, kanji, vocab--but-- I will say, playing otome games has helped me incredibly because IT'S AN AUDIO BOOK ESSENTIALLY LOL.

It's the same concept as many of us grew up with, audio books, parents, teachers, siblings, etc. reading to us while we look at the text.

If you're playing a game that's in Japanese, while you are reading J-text, you have to stop to look up words that you cannot figure out the context? That's a lot of learning right there.

Sure, use the games as fun time.

But set aside 30 minutes of your day, where you use them as a tool.
Keep a file/record/notebook (whatever you use) of the words you look up.

Later on, review your notebook, correct kanji mistakes, look up the English translations, etc.
(Maybe turn the really common words into a flash card)

If you're playing one game through and through, ohman. You are going to see the same words over and over!! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

I hope this helped. ;3;

Diedie
Transfer Student
Transfer Student

+Gold : 120
+Like : 7
Awards :
Events :

Back to top Go down

Post by Laramie Castiel on 29/05/13, 12:41 am

^ That's great advice! Even I learn things every now and them from reading visual novels. Especially ones that deal with complex matters, or ones that have characters with a penchant for using big words in complicated conversations... @_@

My otome media review blog, Purple Nurple Wonderland!

Laramie Castiel
Bishounen Gemu Staff
Bishounen Gemu Staff

+Gold : 1808
+Like : 141
Awards :
Events :

Back to top Go down

Post by silverx on 04/06/13, 05:07 pm

I recommend Anki for memorising vocabulary!
It's a flash card program that on windows, ios and android. It uses this system called a Spaced Repetition System (SRS) that tests you on the cards at set timings, which is supposed to help the brain in remembering...
Anyway, check anki out!

I think the most important part in learning vocab is to reaffirm it, via reading or production (e.g. writing/typing).
When i was learning N3 vocab, i was reading this Yoshimoto Banana book in Japanese, and words that i was learning actually appeared and that just caused the words to get stuck in my head haha.
If you're having problems remembering vocab, how about making up short sentences of your own to remember a particular vocab word?

全てを忘れて この今だけを愛して

silverx
Bishounen Gemu Staff
Bishounen Gemu Staff

+Gold : 114
+Like : 4
Awards :
Events :

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content Today at 07:03 pm