Otome Hearts
The Dolls Stories: otome game or not? 0tppz1z
Welcome to the premier reverse harem community!
Let's talk about otome games and things that interest you.

You are missing out on a lot of stuff, images and links are only available to members. By participating, you could unlock more features and hidden gems.

It sucks to be a lurker!

Join us in a quest for bishies, empty headed heroines, fun and ....and .......umm.... oh, great background music...tadah~!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Otome Hearts
The Dolls Stories: otome game or not? 0tppz1z
Welcome to the premier reverse harem community!
Let's talk about otome games and things that interest you.

You are missing out on a lot of stuff, images and links are only available to members. By participating, you could unlock more features and hidden gems.

It sucks to be a lurker!

Join us in a quest for bishies, empty headed heroines, fun and ....and .......umm.... oh, great background music...tadah~!
Otome Hearts
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Dolls Stories: otome game or not?

+4
Her Cheshire Smile
Akuni
KawaiiMess
nugeyo
8 posters

Go down

The Dolls Stories: otome game or not? Empty The Dolls Stories: otome game or not?

Post by nugeyo 10/05/13, 07:13 am

Hi Otome Hearts! I've been lurking in this forum ever since it's created, and decided to join as this seems like an awesome community. I also want to apologise in advance if this is in the wrong section of the forum; I'm not really sure where this should go, haha.

I love playing games, and recently I discovered that I love making games too. My first game is the Dolls' Stories, which was released on the last day of February. (My website isn't ready yet, so I hope we can put up with [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] ^^";; ) The game features a genderless protagonist (you) and you can choose between a male doll or a female doll, though fdoll's path is incomplete because of dev problems. |D";; Mdoll's route is heavily influenced by typical Otomate games -- the focus of Dolls is on strengthening your relationship with the doll of your choice, much of the dialogue has vanilla, and you get an ending CG -- but I hesitated to classify this as an otome game because:

- it does not feature a female heroine or multiple dateable guys
- it does not focus on shoujo/romantic feelings

However, looking at some of the responses in this forum, I start to wonder if perhaps, my definition of otome games are a bit old...? It feels to me that if your game has otoge elements, it can be passed off as one?

Do you think otome games have to strictly be dating sims, or does it only need to be a visual novel that targets all of you lovely people? Would Dolls pass off as an otome game if only for mdoll's route?

Again, I'm not quite sure where this should go because it's sort of half-pimping and half-trying to strike up a discussion ^^";; Sorry if it belongs in the wrong forum.
nugeyo
nugeyo
Stalker
Stalker

Faction Faction : Clover
+Gold : 22
+Like : 5
Awards :
Events :

Back to top Go down

The Dolls Stories: otome game or not? Empty Re: The Dolls Stories: otome game or not?

Post by KawaiiMess 11/05/13, 07:22 am

Sounds interesting! I'll have to give it a look.

I'm one of those people who hates sticking to fan-made labels too much, so I think you could call it "otome" if you want to. Otome games don't have to be dating sims--the first "otome game" I made (well, only one so far) was more a stream of conciousness thing than anything else.

I think it's more interesting if people experiment and try to step outside the boundries of genres. More power to you!
KawaiiMess
KawaiiMess
Mary Sue
Mary Sue

Faction Faction : Spades
+Gold : 448
+Like : 27
Awards :
Events :

Back to top Go down

The Dolls Stories: otome game or not? Empty Re: The Dolls Stories: otome game or not?

Post by Akuni 11/05/13, 08:28 am

An otome game (to me) is basically the opposite of a galge and its just marketed to a female audience. I think it can be done traditionally and non-traditionally and have more elements of a standard visual novel/sim game with minor otome elements or something.

I don't think it needs to have the full on shoujo feels, but it should have some romantic element - cuz I think that's what an otome game is all about...I think >.>

This looks pretty though~ SO I'll def give it a read and post my review, or update this post or something...
Akuni
Akuni
Mahou Shoujo
Mahou Shoujo

Faction Faction : Heroine
+Gold : 606
+Like : 28
Awards :
Events :

Back to top Go down

Post by Her Cheshire Smile 11/05/13, 09:58 am

Akuni wrote:I don't think it needs to have the full on shoujo feels, but it should have some romantic element - cuz I think that's what an otome game is all about...I think >.>

I'd actually be glad if it didn't have a full on shoujo feel. Get those bishies out of the high school setting and into somewhere more exciting, please!

For me, I consider a game to be otome so long as there's a romantic, girl-pursues-boy element. It doesn't even have to be that prominent. So long as I can be the master of the protagonist's feelings and change a guy's affection, it's part of the otome genre - whether it be a stat raiser, a life sim, an RPG, it's otome.
Her Cheshire Smile
Her Cheshire Smile
Mary Sue
Mary Sue

Faction Faction : Diamond
+Gold : 356
+Like : 20
Awards :
Events :

Back to top Go down

Post by SunshinexKite 11/05/13, 11:23 am

I played your game and I have to say, I can see it being an otome. MDolls route was very Otome-ish like the scene after one of the library visits where he says to himself someday he'll confess his feelings for you and that. Really gave me more of an otome vibe (also dat ending CG) but the whole genderless thing kinda clouds my judgement on that. Though I think as long as its aimed at females and lets you be with a boy it can be considered otome, despite the genderless thing. Personally I viewed the game more as Mdoll/FdollxListener. (This is also why I viewed Fdolls route more as a yuri thing XD)
SunshinexKite
SunshinexKite
Transfer Student
Transfer Student

Faction Faction : Diamond
+Gold : 41
+Like : 0
Awards :
Events :

Back to top Go down

Post by Akuni 12/05/13, 07:07 am

I played it through~ I cannot praise this enough. I've noticed more persons showing off the battle sequences in their games, the comic book style you used was just great, the game art is equally great as well, very well done and detailed. BLAHBLAH~

Onto the big one, is it an otome game or not. I played it and I felt like I was playing an Otome game. It had Otome elements in it so I don't see why it wouldn't be considered one. I think its more in the genre of a Kinetic novel (since choices didn't really change or alter the endings I THINK >.> I played it with all the options already so <.<)

But yea, you're good and this game was great to play~ ^^
Akuni
Akuni
Mahou Shoujo
Mahou Shoujo

+Gold : 606
+Like : 28
Awards :
Events :

Back to top Go down

Post by nugeyo 13/05/13, 05:31 am

Thanks so much for the responses, everyone! It's interesting to see that players are open to re-interpretations of what an otoge is. Looks like the baseline for otoges is that it needs to feature a female protag and multiple romantic partners, and the whole game should centre around chasing the boys; otherwise, even if it's a game designed for a female audience, it would just be a... dress-up game or a pet-raising game or something. To all those who gave Dolls a shot and took the time to leave comments, thank you so much -- it makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside!

I played it through~ I cannot praise this enough. I've noticed more persons showing off the battle sequences in their games, the comic book style you used was just great, the game art is equally great as well, very well done and detailed. BLAHBLAH~

Onto the big one, is it an otome game or not. I played it and I felt like I was playing an Otome game. It had Otome elements in it so I don't see why it wouldn't be considered one. I think its more in the genre of a Kinetic novel (since choices didn't really change or alter the endings I THINK >.> I played it with all the options already so <.<)

But yea, you're good and this game was great to play~ ^^
Thank you for your kind review! *////* I'm super glad to hear that you found it fun. Although yeah -- the story was very linear, wasn't it? ): Hopefully I'll be able to make something far less linear next time. If anyone has any suggestions for what kind of doll they'd like to see next, feel free to throw them my way
nugeyo
nugeyo
Stalker
Stalker

Faction Faction : Clover
+Gold : 22
+Like : 5
Awards :
Events :

Back to top Go down

Post by Alera 13/05/13, 06:31 am

Omg, I still have to finish this!!! I have it downloaded, started, but...

From what I saw at the beginning though, I loved it~ So pretty *A* [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Not sure about the whole otome debate, I think it could be otome, but my view on this is a bit wider than the traditional~
Alera
Alera
Main Character
Main Character

Faction Faction : Hearts
+Gold : 327
+Like : 7
Awards :
Events :

http://psyalera.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by KawaiiMess 13/05/13, 08:28 am

Haven't played it yet, but I gave your forum post on lenmasoft a lookthrough and it looks neat!

Personally, I believe there needs to be more genderless/trans* options in otome games/visual novels, so a genderless MC is something that I'd be very interested in playing.
KawaiiMess
KawaiiMess
Mary Sue
Mary Sue

Faction Faction : Spades
+Gold : 448
+Like : 27
Awards :
Events :

Back to top Go down

Post by supreme-thunder 22/07/13, 05:59 pm

I actually finished playing this game yesterday and I really enjoyed it. I especially enjoyed the comic book style scenes, but sometimes those scenes moved a little too fast for me to read all the dialogue. But aside from that, I grew to love and care for the male doll, who I named Hiro, and nearly cried when I finished it. 

While you couldn't fall in love with your doll and start a relationship, I thought the relationship between the master & doll was very sweet and intimate. However, there were one or two subtle moments of love being discussed, but not much. Other than that, I wouldn't really call this an otome game, but I think it can be left up to the player's imagination how the relationship goes when they reach the end of the game.

I personally think that an otome game doesn't have to be a dating sim. It can be a visual novel with otome elements in them.
supreme-thunder
supreme-thunder
Stalker
Stalker

+Gold : 57
+Like : 4
Awards :
Events :

Back to top Go down

Post by icingcandies 02/06/16, 06:41 pm

I have heard such great things about this so it's really saddening to see that you've removed the game. ;_;

How I wish I grabbed it before it was taken down.  Crying

Well, I respect your decision.  Crying Crying Crying Crying Crying Crying Crying Crying
icingcandies
icingcandies
Main Character
Main Character

Faction Faction : Hearts
+Gold : 23
+Like : 2
Awards :
Events :

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down