Otome Hearts

Welcome to the premier reverse harem community!
Let's talk about otome games and things that interest you.

You are missing out on a lot of stuff, images and links are only available to members. By participating, you could unlock more features and hidden gems.

It sucks to be a lurker!

Join us in a quest for bishies, empty headed heroines, fun and ....and .......umm.... oh, great background music...tadah~!

What Makes An Otome Game Attractive? c:

View previous topic View next topic Go down

default What Makes An Otome Game Attractive? c:

Post by xNado on 09/05/13, 12:27 am

Just a simple question c: I'm hoping to be able to make an Otome Game soon, Just give me your suggestions preezu [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] ~
ThankYou. c}:

xNado
Transfer Student
Transfer Student

Faction Faction : Clover
+Gold : 66
+Like : 2
Awards :
Events :

Back to top Go down

default Re: What Makes An Otome Game Attractive? c:

Post by tearsoflight on 09/05/13, 12:31 am

What I look for immediately in an otome game is an attractive (as in well-drawn) and unique cast. I get pretty tired of the typical heroines with bobs and very simple outfits and the stereotypical male cast. I like when the character designs either really suit the personality of the characters or fit an overarching theme.

tearsoflight
Transfer Student
Transfer Student

Faction Faction : Diamond
+Gold : 118
+Like : 7
Awards :
Events :

http://koriko.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by xNado on 09/05/13, 12:38 am

tearsoflight wrote:What I look for immediately in an otome game is an attractive (as in well-drawn) and unique cast. I get pretty tired of the typical heroines with bobs and very simple outfits and the stereotypical male cast. I like when the character designs either really suit the personality of the characters or fit an overarching theme.

Mmm .. You have a good point c:
I'll put that in mind! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] ~

xNado
Transfer Student
Transfer Student

+Gold : 66
Awards :
Events :

Back to top Go down

Post by shymel on 09/05/13, 12:50 am

Coherent stories and fleshed out characters make an otome game attractive to me. I don't need a new and unique story to like an otome game, or anything with a story for that matter, I just want it to be understandable. As for characters, like someone else mentioned above, characters need to be more than stereotypes. They need character development.

shymel
Transfer Student
Transfer Student

+Gold : 107
+Like : 6
Awards :
Events :

http://shy-mel.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by ara-ara on 09/05/13, 01:44 am

I agree, character development is what I like a lot.

Not just the males having character development, but the males also changing the heroine as well... so it's not just one-sided.

That's probably a lot to ask for, but it makes things a lot better in terms of the relationship in my opinion. smile

ara-ara
Main Character
Main Character

Faction Faction : Heroine
+Gold : 109
Awards :
Events :

http://chromakite.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Skiye on 09/05/13, 06:05 pm

I like when each of the guys have their own unique personalities and interesting backgrounds. Although sometimes the stereotypical rolls are fun, they can get old pretty fast, so its nice to change it up every once in awhile.

Also having the main character be more assertive and stand up for herself when the guys get a little too touchy or testy.

Skiye
Stalker
Stalker

Faction Faction : Joker
+Gold : 25
+Like : 0
Awards :
Events :

http://daybreak-skye.deviantart.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Loki666 on 09/05/13, 08:21 pm

Skiye wrote:I like when each of the guys have their own unique personalities and interesting backgrounds. Although sometimes the stereotypical rolls are fun, they can get old pretty fast, so its nice to change it up every once in awhile.

Also having the main character be more assertive and stand up for herself when the guys get a little too touchy or testy.
Everything that she said + an interesting story :3 Something that I really liked while I was playing Doppleganger: Dawn of Inverted Souls is that after you got a certain amount of endings, more cut scenes were added to the beginning of the story. So basically, the story was being developed as you got more endings. :3 It might be a lot for you to do so, though :/.

Loki666
Mahou Shoujo
Mahou Shoujo

+Gold : 393
+Like : 23
Awards :
Events :

Back to top Go down

Post by Caly on 09/05/13, 10:20 pm

I think the first thing I look to choose if I want to play or not is the art. If it looks well enough drawn I'll read the description of the storyline. I think I'm not the only one who does that so I guess the main focus is to have a good artwork.

Then a simple yet personalised interface (I have no idea if its the proper word - you know dialogue boxes, menus, ... ) If it looks beautifull, easy to play and comfortable to read, it'll look more attractive.

Finally the story. As it's been said before me, a good story is important. What makes a good story depends on taste, but there are some things I find interesting to have :
- Characters development (very important!!)
- A story not focused only on the romance
- Twists (If it's too predictible it's boring)

Caly
Stalker
Stalker

+Gold : 40
Awards :
Events :

Back to top Go down

Post by Verdelish on 10/05/13, 01:29 am

Art is definitely the bottom line for me. I don't play half the fan-made otome games out there because of their art styles. Heck, the main reason I'm not trying to make my own otome game is because I'm no good with Photoshop.

A unique plot (as in, not vampires or werewolves please for the love of god) would be icing on the cake. <3

Verdelish
Bishounen Gemu Staff
Bishounen Gemu Staff

+Gold : 80
+Like : 7
Awards :
Events :

http://verdelish.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Makise Sunao on 10/05/13, 02:17 am

Looks like I'm not the only one here who's not playing a game unless it's drawn nicely.
It's not being rude, but in all honesty Art really does give off a great first impression.

Makise Sunao
Admin
Admin

+Gold : 365
+Like : 36
Events :

http://otomehearts.forumtl.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Skiye on 10/05/13, 03:57 am

Makise Sunao wrote:Looks like I'm not the only one here who's not playing a game unless it's drawn nicely.
It's not being rude, but in all honesty Art really does give off a great first impression.
I like the art to be visually pleasing to the eye as well, because I agree that the art is key to a great otome, along with the plot and character development. You can have a great plot and wonderful characters, but in the world we live in, people won't pay hardly any mind unless they find the art attractive.

Skiye
Stalker
Stalker

Awards :
Events :

Back to top Go down

Post by Makise Sunao on 10/05/13, 04:56 am

Skiye wrote:
people won't pay hardly any mind unless they find the art attractive.
I find myself giggling whenever the main heroine describes the guy as handsome, but my gawd that character sprite is drawn pretty bad. D:
we live in a world where appearances matters huh?
aesthetics over story.

Makise Sunao
Admin
Admin

+Gold : 365
+Like : 36
Events :

http://otomehearts.forumtl.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Skiye on 10/05/13, 05:21 am

Makise Sunao wrote:
I find myself giggling whenever the main heroine describes the guy as handsome, but my gawd that character sprite is drawn pretty bad. D:
we live in a world where appearances matters huh?
aesthetics over story.
I tend to give things like visual novels a chance, to see how the stories go, but in some people's cases, if the art doesn't appeal to them, they won't even attempt to give it a chance. That's how many great ones are missed simply because people are picky on the art. My earlier comment might contradict what I'm saying now, and yes the art is a plus, but I've seen so many stories out there that are fantastic, and people won't give them a chance because the art isn't what they like.

Skiye
Stalker
Stalker

Awards :
Events :

Back to top Go down

Post by nugeyo on 10/05/13, 06:17 am

I'm surprised no one's mentioned seiyuu yet...?

I'm all for good art as well as I'm a visually-inclined person -- it bothers me when awesome writing is not complimented properly by the right graphics. Visual novels mean that the visual part of the game is as important as the novel part of the game. Setting is another big one to me; I tend to be a little jaded towards high-school settings. (I did play Love Revo and enjoyed it though.) I'm a huge fan of the adventure genre so anything involving adventures would hook my attention immediately, haha.

nugeyo
Stalker
Stalker

+Gold : 22
+Like : 5
Awards :
Events :

Back to top Go down

Post by Blue_Star on 10/05/13, 11:57 pm

Like the others have mentioned, the art makes a huge impression. I wouldn't buy the otome game Fatal Hearts because the sprites were so terrible. Of course, if everything else about the game is awesome, then I can tolerate bad art. Like Higurashi. But art definitely leaves a lasting impression.

Otome is obviously known for its plethora of awesome bishies, so obviously good otome games have to have awesome bishies. Attractive design, good development, and interesting personality quirks all play a role in making them awesome.

Beautiful writing helps make an otome game memorable as well. Most of them are fan translated or made, which sometimes means that they have very plain, literal translations/writing, but a game with great wordplay really sticks out in my mind. Of course, it's more important that the writing fits the characters that are talking and narrating. I've seen stories where the characters are too elegant in their speech; people, especially teenagers and young adults, don't usually talk super-elegant.

Blue_Star
Main Character
Main Character

+Gold : 76
Awards :
Events :

Back to top Go down

Post by SunshinexKite on 11/05/13, 11:34 am

I tend to be attracted to games with a unique and intriguing story. Also, the more tragic and the more a character suffers, the better. Also, artwise, I tend to play games regardless of art style as long as writing is good, and prefer more unique artstyles rather than the typical "kawaii desu anime" style that everyone uses (of course, I'm one of those people so I should just shut up ;~[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] If I look at a game and go "OH HEY ____ drew this!" It gives me some weird form of accomplishment idk.

EDIT: Oh and voices too I'll buy any otome if it's english voice acted because im a dork english VA freak. (unless its by some unknown union then I'm pretty indifferent but will probably buy it anyway because hardly any english otomes)
Also if any characters seiyuus are Takuma Terishima and/or Kaji Yuuki I'm sold!

SunshinexKite
Transfer Student
Transfer Student

Faction Faction : Diamond
+Gold : 41
Awards :
Events :

Back to top Go down

Post by Dududu on 12/05/13, 03:35 am

IT'S ALL ABOUT THE BABES.

But seriously, like what most people have said. The story and depth of each character is very important.

Although personally I will play any otome game I find at least once, so in a way the most attractive thing about otome games is the fact they are otome games.

But a game I will love and replay forever and ever has a good main story for the heroine, good stories for the available characters and both the heroine and the others need to have detailed and interesting characteristics. And if the game is pretty that's awesome. I know the look of the game is important, I mean, it's called a VISUAL novel a good story isn't gonna cut it someone might as well just right a book BUT! Butbutbut a beautiful game with crappy characters and story is no good for me.

Dududu
Transfer Student
Transfer Student

+Gold : 155
+Like : 12
Awards :
Events :

Back to top Go down

Post by Akuni on 12/05/13, 07:13 am

If the story is compelling, sweet, well-written, JUST FREAKING GOOD. Then I'll be bound to play it, even if the art isn't that great. I think the Visual part is what weaves them in and the Novel part keeps us playing lol

Akuni
Mahou Shoujo
Mahou Shoujo

Faction Faction : Heroine
+Gold : 606
+Like : 28
Awards :
Events :

Back to top Go down

Post by billies on 14/05/13, 11:59 pm

Art and an interesting plot summary is important to me in terms of first impression.

I don't mind if the art is 'bad' if it is bad on purpose. For instance, Hatoful Boyfriend uses stock photo birds and Gakuen Handsome 's art is terrible on purpose to be humorous.
If the point of the game is really dating the guys and it isn't a parody though- then I'd like my 2D boys to be handsome. So nice art is definitely preferred! >uo )b

What makes me decide how much I love the game by the end though depends on the characters and story. If the story has good depth and the characters are interesting/have attractive personalities, I'll deem it worth finishing and replaying!

billies
Transfer Student
Transfer Student

Faction Faction : Hearts
+Gold : 69
+Like : 1
Awards :
Events :

http://birries.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content Today at 11:50 am