Otome Hearts

Welcome to the premier reverse harem community!
Let's talk about otome games and things that interest you.

You are missing out on a lot of stuff, images and links are only available to members. By participating, you could unlock more features and hidden gems.

It sucks to be a lurker!

Join us in a quest for bishies, empty headed heroines, fun and ....and .......umm.... oh, great background music...tadah~!

Otome Gamer's Problems - the List.

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

default Otome Gamer's Problems - the List.

Post by Topaztan on 19/04/13, 06:57 pm

Problems, yes we all have them... but being an otome gamer means you're faced with a different set of problem than everyday ones. Don't worry though, other gamers share your woes, and that's why this list is here. So we can all laugh at the otome related problems we face.

So, Dreamless Flight made some interesting comments in a different thread and because of that I figured it would be pretty funny if people mentioned the "problems" they run into when playing otome games, compile these problems into a list, and then we can laugh at them. Sort of like a "You know you do something too much when..." List.

The original two made by Dreamless-San were "otome problems#1: All available characters are handsome!" and "otome problems#2: You can't pick your personal favorite cause there will always be a ruiner with their flawless faces and personality." Both we're followed by sighs! xD

So my contributions to the list are,
Otome problems #3: When the "Good" end is better than the "Best" end.
Otome problems #4: You can't pick which decision to make so you end up pondering it for a really long amount of time.
tome problems #5: Bad Endings.

So, let's add your otome problems to the list too and see how silly the things we fret over really are. xD

Topaztan
Mahou Shoujo
Mahou Shoujo

Faction Faction : Diamond
+Gold : 729
+Like : 19
Awards :
Events :

Back to top Go down

default Re: Otome Gamer's Problems - the List.

Post by Topaztan on 19/04/13, 06:57 pm

Otome Gamer Problems: an (in)complete, community generated list!

I've divided the list into groups of 25 problems so your screen doesn't become miles long from opening the full list. Also I think this makes it easier to read trhough the list and not lose your place. As always this list is to poke fun at everyone, not take ourselves too seriously and of course for my personal amusement at others expense. Enjoy~

#1 - #25:
No. 1: ALL available characters are handsome! (Dear 神さま, the hot characters.)
No. 2: You can't decide on a personal favorite 'cause there is always a life-ruiner with their flawless face and personality.
No. 3: When the "Good End" is better than the "Best/True End"
No. 4: Not being able to pick which decision to make, spending a really long time pondering it.
No. 5: Bad Endings.
No. 6: Having multiple tabs open for the walkthroughs/guide! (Dreamless Flight can't and is personally sorry.)
No. 7: Looking like a panda every morning because you stayed up late playing otome games.
No. 8: NOT ENOUGH CGs.
No. 9: Not enough games with English translations, official or otherwise.
No. 10: When a sub-character is awesome but they don't get their own romance route. (Distant and muffled "D'AAAAAAWWW ;A;" from upset fans everywhere)
No. 11: When the same seiyuu uses the exact same voice tone to portray a character and you just can't help imaging the other character with the same voice, but with different behavior...
No. 12: When you feel guilty for trying a new route because it means neglecting a character you've already finished the route for and knowing that he will be lonely at the end of the new story route.
No. 13: When you finish a route/game and there's just no more of your favorite character to see.
No. 14: When some of the dialogue choices are locked on your first playthrough, making it impossible to get the "Good/True End"
No. 15: When the "Bad End" is way more interesting than the lovey-dovey "Good End" but they get cut really short.
No. 12454367457: When it seems like you're the ONLY person who can't get the patch to work!
No. 17: When the protagonist doesn't have a default name and you're forced to come up with an original name. Using yours feels too queer but using a silly one makes the game a joke.     Funfact: When left to their own devices, gamers seem to use names such as.. "Jesus", "Used Tampon", "Meow Meow"... "Killf***er Souls***ter" and "Balls Mahoney".
No. 18: Otome games lack of a "memorial" Section. After working your ass off for all the endings, it would be nice to have a section where you can revisit them without having to replay the entire game.
No. 19: Games that show a percentage counter for completion, but have little, or no reward for actually achieving 100% completion.
No. 20: The rare ocasion when a seiyuu's voice doesn't suit their character.
No. 21: "Faceless" Heroine-chan's- everyone dislikes them anyway. (Shout out to Honeybee for Starry Sky, and Voltage.) 
No. 22: When the CG doesn't match the game dialogue because one of the characters- usually the heroine- is missing from it.
No. 23: Your gaming habits cause you to have high expectations of men in real life.
No. 24: The soul crushing realize that you'll never have expectations fulfilled because no man can be THAT amazingly, charmingly, gorgeously perfect. I love you
No. 25: When you and everyone else loses count of how many problems there are. (I have 99 problems and otome is all of them.)

#26 - #45:

No. 26: When you're at a great scene, and become really focused on what is happening... and someone interrupts you, ruining the experience.
No. 27: When you're at a very hot scene, and someone interrupts you again and QUICK- YOU HAVE TO HIDE THE SCREEN BEFORE YOU EMBARRASS YOURSELF.  Embarassed/ Kyaa!
No. 28: When the BGM doesn't fit the scene, or when the BGM drowns out the voices.
No. 29: When a character's voice doesn't stay level and it's both too loud and too soft.
No. 30: Missing that ONE SINGLE EVENT that unlocks the End you needed/wanted.
No. 31: When the heroine contiunally does things that make you want to YELL at her, but somehow it's the right thing because the heroine gets forgiven for everything.
No. 32: Awful, the cliche'd naive and gullible, over-the-top "donkan", or just plain DENSE heroines.
No. 33: Tsukiko Yahisa.
No. 34: Fandiscs/Extended Editions with added content... on a different platform.
No. 35: Re-releasing the same game for a different platform but with no changes, or even less features than the original.
No. 36: When the Star Pink Super Special Awesome Star Pink game editions with the best pre-order bonus/tokuten is only available from one shop, and that shop doesn't ship internationally/
No. 37: Those tokuten/limited edition items that you can only get IN Japan.
No. 38: Having to use a proxy (like Yokatta) to solve No. 36 and No. 37, but proxies are expensive.
No. 39: Not being able to afford that new game you're dying to play, or all the awesome merchandise for your favorite series.
No. 40: When otome games and merch are still expensive even when you're in Japan, or Asia and don't have to ship overseas.
No. 41: When you find out your remaining bank balance after purchasing new games... Crying
No. 42: When a good otome game/your favorite game doesn't get any actual recognition.
No. 43: When the game you're playing is glitchy.
No. 44: When your favorite character in the entire game is the unobtainable one from No. 10.
No. 45: When a character in an otome game reminds you of another character from somewhere else with their looks/acts/voice... kind of like No. 11.

#46 - #65:

No. 46: Only being able to discuss otome games online because you have no friends who like otome games in real life.
No. 47: When you're invested into a character's route but they do something that unsettles you and you don't like the character at all, but you keep playing just to see what happens at the end.
No. 48: When a character is a major pain in the--, and you really don't want to play the route but you just have to because his voice is so dreamy and you want to hear more.
No. 49: When you just finished Boy 1's route and are going for Boy 2 and even though you know if you're nice to Boy 1, you'll just get his ending again, you don't have to will to be a jerk to Boy 1. He already has a special place in your heart.
No. 50: When, despite being aware that 2D boys don't have feelings, you don't have the heart to pick mean dialogue. Literally making you a (2D) people pleaser.
No. 51: When you have the perfect witty, charming response in your head but it's not one of your choices in the game.
No. 52: When the cool, calm character suddenly becomes extremely mushy-gushy and you lose all respect for him.
No. 53: Daydreaming about a certain otome guy... resulting in too many fanfiction ideas.
No. 54: When you're desperately hoping these 2D guys will come out of your screen like Yamamura Sadako... but less creepily.
No. 55: When you've played sooo many otome games that you become genre-savvy and are aware of every plot twist... and then everything becomes super predictable.
No. 56: When your hot scene gets cut off to save the games rating. (Shout out to Quinrose!)
No. 57: Doormat heroines with minimal personality that you're meant to "self project" on and "fit into" Especially when they're "goody-goody two-shoes," even while being "strong"- who wants to imagine themselves as such a boring character.
No. 58: That character who is really nice and likable in his own route, but will treat the heroine like trash in other character's routes.
No. 59: In-game characters that fall for and swoon over the playboy/asshole character.
No. 60: Current trend of portable-only (PSP, PSV) otome games- SOME GIRLS WANT THEIR FULL SCREEN BISHIES TO RUB THEIR FACES AGAINST!
No. 61: When otome game writers use extreme "donkan" or "innocence" as a pass for the protagonist to pretty much lead on two guys. ("SHE'S JUST INEXPERIENCED")
No. 62: If the protagonist didn't know she was leading two guys on, and actually made some kind of decision that brings closure to the problem, then all is well. Problem is, they tend to still be "confuzzled" and rarely make a proper decision,"Sorry for leading you two on. So yeah, I'll keep on leading you two on."
No. 63: Finding a love triangle in the route you're on and then going back to play the other boy's route because you feel bad and want all the characters to be happy.
No. 64: Having to delude yourself into thinking everything will end well and all your precious characters that you've become attached to will get their happy endings... somehow...
No. 65: When your "plan to play" backlog expands at a scarily higher rate than what you actually complete.

#67 - #77:

No. 67: When you're earlier obtained gerne-savvyness (No. 55) causes you to realize that THIS IS NOT GOING TO END WELL. sad
No. 68: When you get strange looks for being one of the only guys who is actually into playing otome games.
No. 69: When the protagonist is 100 PASENTO INOSENTO VIRGIN that has a worryingly low sexual interest but suddenly becomes "The Best Prostitute in Kazakhstan" kinda sexual freak when on the obligatory 3P and/or sex 24/7 ending. It doesn't seem like the guy has anything in his sexual repertoire that warrants such an obsession.
No. 70: When the heroine in the anime adaption ruins your OTP because she's paired up with another guy and the heroine "isn't making the RIGHT decisions."
No. 71: Running back to play the game so the heroine DOES make the right choices, just for  the satisfaction that your favorite pairing brings you.
No. 72: When you're forced into picking ドM choices/choices you would never usually pick because you're too obsessed with "completing" the game to ignore a certain characters route!
No. 73: When you actually like the heroine but everyone else in the fanbase seems to hate her for one reason or another.
No. 74: When you're watching an anime, and you wish it had an otome game just so you can choose to romance your favorite characters.
No. 75: Weird age differences/The heroine being too young/old to romance a character.
No. 76: Lack of heroine customization, sometimes you just want to play dress-up or have the heroine to resemble you a little bit!
No. 77: Whips.

"Wow, Topaz, way to take care of your thread A++ job you're doing #SARCASM,"... And with that the ugly, auto-list complied at 5AM is gone for good! Told y'all I'd come back and make it pretty... I didn't mean to take a literal year so long though. It's not AS good as it should be because I'm getting reused to this posting system & lag isn't helping me figure it out. I promise to come back again and fix it up more though, and do that actually SOON.

You can probably tell but I edited around the numbers and wording, and combined similar ideas/ tried to group related things, it's just to add to the flow of the list for easy(ish) reading. As always feel free to share your problems for the list and I'll add them, the original goal was 100... so start counting from #78! 77 is ttly legit ok?

Contributors (in no real order)::

Dreamless Flight
Laramie Castiel
Yukiri
The_Cat_Lady
NuitNoire
alice3ify
vocaotome
Gouka
Her Cheshire Smile
Makise Sunao
rene05
leftoverpizza
Loren Leah
Cuddlebump
Fandramon
Prinny
HereWeAreAtSeaworld
LeKitten
Mirai
Crystatine
Wisp Night

Thank you all. If anyone notices a name missing please point it out so I can add it to the list. Hello

Special thanks goes to Dreamless Flight for giving me the idea to make an entire thread dedicated to making fun of her otome problems.

Last edited by Topaztan on 31/10/14, 11:10 pm; edited 3 times in total

Topaztan
Mahou Shoujo
Mahou Shoujo

Awards :
Events :

Back to top Go down

Post by Dreamless Flight on 19/04/13, 07:07 pm

┐( ̄ー ̄)┌ What can I say, daily gaming made me a problematic girl. Sigh

Forever laughing because of your admin post. xD

Well here's my continuation! :D

Otome problems #6: All those open tabs for walkthroughs [I can't, I'm sorry]
Otome problems #7: Looking like a panda every morning because you stayed up late
Otome problems #8: Dear Kami-san, hot characters.
Otome problems #9: NOT ENOUGH CGS

Sigh.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
☑ Glasses ☑ Exotic Color of Hair ☑ Tsundere ☑ Hot ☑ Perfect

Why, welcome to my basement! You get special treatment for ticking all of those boxes! Yay!

"And we chase those stars in this endless night

Only to open our eyes for it was only a dreamless flight"

Dreamless Flight
Mary Sue
Mary Sue

Faction Faction : Joker
+Gold : 390
+Like : 13
Awards :
Events :

Back to top Go down

Post by Makise Sunao on 19/04/13, 07:09 pm

#10 When a sub character is awesome but he doesnt have his own romance route ... DAWW ;A;

Makise Sunao
Admin
Admin

+Gold : 365
+Like : 36
Events :

http://otomehearts.forumtl.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Dreamless Flight on 19/04/13, 07:18 pm

Makise Sunao wrote:#10 When a sub character is awesome but he doesnt have his own romance route ... DAWW ;A;

True! Just like the wizard in Dandelions. Sobs.

Why, welcome to my basement! You get special treatment for ticking all of those boxes! Yay!

Dreamless Flight
Mary Sue
Mary Sue

Awards :
Events :

Back to top Go down

Post by rene05 on 19/04/13, 07:19 pm

#11 When the same seiyuu/voice actor uses the exact voice tone to portray a character...you just can't help thinking/imaging the other character that the seiyuu voice.... with a different attitude/behaviour...

Ikki.....=))

rene05
OH! Uploaders
OH! Uploaders

Faction Faction : Spades
+Gold : 335
+Like : 14
Awards :
Events :

http://mirei05.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Gouka on 19/04/13, 07:37 pm

When you feel guilty about trying a new romance route because it means neglecting a character whose route you already finished and you just know that he's lonely in this version of the story. Poor lonely bishie. sad

Gouka
Main Character
Main Character

Faction Faction : Hearts
+Gold : 236
+Like : 11
Awards :
Events :

Back to top Go down

Post by Akuni on 19/04/13, 07:48 pm

Makise Sunao wrote:#10 When a sub character is awesome but he doesnt have his own romance route ... DAWW ;A;

^ THIS (x1000)

Akuni
Mahou Shoujo
Mahou Shoujo

Faction Faction : Heroine
+Gold : 606
+Like : 28
Awards :
Events :

Back to top Go down

Post by Topaztan on 19/04/13, 07:52 pm

rene05 wrote:#11 When the same seiyuu/voice actor uses the exact voice tone to portray a character...you just can't help thinking/imaging the other character that the seiyuu voice.... with a different attitude/behaviour...

THIS THIS THIS!!

Topaztan
Mahou Shoujo
Mahou Shoujo

Awards :
Events :

Back to top Go down

Post by Topaztan on 19/04/13, 07:53 pm

Oh, I'm adding "Not enough otome games get English translations."
I'm sure that's a big one for a lot of people here.

YOU GUYS ARE ALL GREAT, BTW.

Topaztan
Mahou Shoujo
Mahou Shoujo

Awards :
Events :

Back to top Go down

Post by leftoverpizza on 19/04/13, 08:27 pm

When you finish a route/game and there's just no more of that character to see ;-; *sniff*

leftoverpizza
Stalker
Stalker

+Gold : 16
+Like : 0
Awards :
Events :

Back to top Go down

Post by The_Cat_Lady on 19/04/13, 08:40 pm

Also when some of the dialog choices are locked on your first playthrough and you can't possibly get the good ending :x.

Special thanks to everyone involved in the Black Wolves Saga Translation Project [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]!

The_Cat_Lady
Mahou Shoujo
Mahou Shoujo

+Gold : 749
+Like : 95
Awards :
Events :

Back to top Go down

Post by Ame on 19/04/13, 08:55 pm

Dreamless Flight wrote:

True! Just like the wizard in Dandelions. Sobs.

Spoiler:
NOTHING TO CONQUER, HE'S ALREADY YOURS~

Ame
Moderators
Moderators

+Gold : 698
+Like : 38
Awards :
Events :

http://angryfangirl.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by spicy_diamond on 19/04/13, 09:41 pm

The_Cat_Lady wrote:Also when some of the dialog choices are locked on your first playthrough and you can't possibly get the good ending :x.

Argh, this... I was initially thinking non-route characters. But I think this is just as bad. I hate getting stuck in a bad end during the first playthrough.

spicy_diamond
OH! Scanlator
OH! Scanlator

+Gold : 451
+Like : 22
Awards :
Events :

http://spicy-diamond.livejournal.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Loren Leah on 19/04/13, 10:11 pm

#10 is my number one problem sobbbb

Otome Problems #??: When the bad endings are way more interesting than the love love good endings but they're really short :x

Loren Leah
Bishounen Gemu Staff
Bishounen Gemu Staff

+Gold : 349
+Like : 20
Awards :
Events :

http://wednesdaysky.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by spicy_diamond on 19/04/13, 11:02 pm

Loren Leah wrote:#10 is my number one problem sobbbb

Otome Problems #??: When the bad endings are way more interesting than the love love good endings but they're really short :x
I've had that too. When they're perfect and evil and just so good.... and they end. It makes me wish that they did extensions for the bad ends sometimes in the fandisks as well as the good ends. ^.^0

spicy_diamond
OH! Scanlator
OH! Scanlator

+Gold : 451
+Like : 22
Awards :
Events :

http://spicy-diamond.livejournal.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Loren Leah on 19/04/13, 11:06 pm

spicy_diamond wrote:
Loren Leah wrote:#10 is my number one problem sobbbb

I've had that too. When they're perfect and evil and just so good.... and they end. It makes me wish that they did extensions for the bad ends sometimes in the fandisks as well as the good ends. ^.^0
I love the evil kind, but sometimes I have this problem with more generic "bad" endings too. Broccoli I'm still waiting for my continuation of Natsuki's Friendship ending back in UtaPri Repeat!!!! Very Mad

Loren Leah
Bishounen Gemu Staff
Bishounen Gemu Staff

+Gold : 349
+Like : 20
Awards :
Events :

http://wednesdaysky.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Dreamless Flight on 20/04/13, 06:23 pm

Otome Problems#12454367457(What number are we now?) When English Patches doesn't work or at least not for you. (ノ`Д´)ノ彡┻━┻

Dreamless Flight
Mary Sue
Mary Sue

Awards :
Events :

Back to top Go down

Post by Laramie Castiel on 20/04/13, 06:55 pm

#??: When the protagonist doesn't have a default name and I'm forced to come up with my own. It feels too queer to use mine and using a silly one will make me not take the game seriously anymore.

#??: Most otome games' lack of a "memorial" section. After working my ass off for endings, I would like a section where I can revisit them without playing the game all over again.

#??: Games that show percentage counters for completion, but have little to no reward for actually achieving 100%.

#??: This one is rare, but when a seiyuu's voice doesn't suit their character.

There's more, but I'm getting ridonkulous.

My otome media review blog, Purple Nurple Wonderland!

Laramie Castiel
Bishounen Gemu Staff
Bishounen Gemu Staff

+Gold : 1808
+Like : 141
Awards :
Events :

Back to top Go down

Post by Dreamless Flight on 20/04/13, 07:06 pm

Laramie Castiel wrote:#??: When the protagonist doesn't have a default name and I'm forced to come up with my own. It feels too queer to use mine and using a silly one will make me not take the game seriously anymore.

#??: Most otome games' lack of a "memorial" section. After working my ass off for endings, I would like a section where I can revisit them without playing the game all over again.

#??: Games that show percentage counters for completion, but have little to no reward for actually achieving 100%.

#??: This one is rare, but when a seiyuu's voice doesn't suit their character.

There's more, but I'm getting ridonkulous.

ALL OF THESE.

Laughing at the first one cause there was one time when the Heroine and some guy bought a cat and he asked her for a name I wrote 'our son' so that every time they call it, it's their son.

Idk.

Hohohoho

Dreamless Flight
Mary Sue
Mary Sue

Awards :
Events :

Back to top Go down

Post by Laramie Castiel on 20/04/13, 07:11 pm

^ LMAO, that's brilliant! Laughing dududu

I know some people who use "Jesus", "Used Tampon", "Meow Meow"... the list goes on. My favourite LPer uses "Killf***er Souls***ter" and "Balls Mahoney". Balls-sempai is pretty hilarious.

My otome media review blog, Purple Nurple Wonderland!

Laramie Castiel
Bishounen Gemu Staff
Bishounen Gemu Staff

+Gold : 1808
+Like : 141
Awards :
Events :

Back to top Go down

Post by alice3ify on 20/04/13, 07:14 pm

Hopping to the wagon!

#00: Those 'faceless' heroine-chan that everybody despises.

who even likes CGs with faceless heroine in it whooo *shouts to Honeybee for Starry Sky*

#000: Those CGs where you don't see your heroine is together with your bishou, when in the convo they should be in the CG together.

alice3ify
Main Character
Main Character

+Gold : 201
+Like : 10
Awards :
Events :

Back to top Go down

Post by Cuddlebump on 20/04/13, 09:28 pm

Otome Problem #??: Having high expectations of men in real life.
Otome problem #???: The soul crushing realization that no man can be *that* amazing/charming/gorgeous/perfect.

Cuddlebump
Stalker
Stalker

+Gold : 69
+Like : 2
Awards :
Events :

Back to top Go down

Post by alice3ify on 21/04/13, 06:20 am

Cuddlebump wrote:Otome Problem #??: Having high expectations of men in real life.
Otome problem #???: The soul crushing realization that no man can be *that* amazing/charming/gorgeous/perfect.

I agree on all of those points!

Otome games are simply made us remember that 2D men are still in an equal stand with 3D. Or real men to be exact.

alice3ify
Main Character
Main Character

+Gold : 201
+Like : 10
Awards :
Events :

Back to top Go down

Post by NuitNoire on 21/04/13, 06:31 am

Otome Problem #?? (we need to find the numbers again...): When you get to a great scene and are so focused on it... and someone calls you or enters the room and ruins it.

Otome Problem #??: When there's a very hot scene and, again, someone enters the room, and you have to hide the screen to not embarrass yourself.

Otome Problem #??: When background music doesn't fit the scene/is too loud and drowns out the voices.

Otome Problem #??: When a character's voice gets really soft and then really loud- in other words, when the character voice doesn't stay level.

Otome Problem #??: Missing that ONE EVENT that unlocks the End you wanted.

Otome Problem #??: When the MC continually does things that you want to yell at her for and it somehow is the right thing to do because she's forgiven for it... I hate it when this happens because it takes so much away from the game when the MC is awful...

NuitNoire
OH! Uploaders
OH! Uploaders

Faction Faction : Hearts
+Gold : 551
+Like : 24
Awards :
Events :

http://marchharethetranslator.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content Today at 05:04 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum