Otome Hearts

Welcome to the premier reverse harem community!
Let's talk about otome games and things that interest you.

You are missing out on a lot of stuff, images and links are only available to members. By participating, you could unlock more features and hidden gems.

It sucks to be a lurker!

Join us in a quest for bishies, empty headed heroines, fun and ....and .......umm.... oh, great background music...tadah~!

How important is an otome game's seiyuu cast to you?

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

How important is an otome game's seiyuu cast to you?

5% 5% 
[ 3 ]
45% 45% 
[ 25 ]
43% 43% 
[ 24 ]
7% 7% 
[ 4 ]
 
Total Votes : 56

default How important is an otome game's seiyuu cast to you?

Post by Laramie Castiel on 16/04/13, 08:35 pm

Hey there, everyone!

Many may know by now that in Japan, seiyuu (Japanese voice actors) are a much bigger deal- at least- compared to how the rest of the world regard their country's voice actors. Game budgets are likely to have a significant allocation towards hiring the most in-demand seiyuu they can afford.

This is more evident in the otome gaming world, in which it is uncommon to find a game with hardly anybody well-known amongst its fans of the genre. Even in R18+ otome games, though identities of the seiyuu are concealed behind an alias (for a variety of reasons dependent upon seiyuu-to-seiyuu), quick research online can pretty much decipher who is who, and they tend to be big stars. Failing the entire cast, at least the "main" guy(s). R18+ roles cost a lot more money, so this is why a handful of first releases of new R18+ companies (which are not branch companies of bigger companies with enough cash) tend to have a cast of mostly "unknowns".

Do the voice actors matter as much to a Western audience as it does to the native audience?

As such, I was wondering how much of an influence do seiyuu casts have on you guys- who I'm going to assume- are non-Japanese otome gamers?

_________________

My otome media review blog, Purple Nurple Wonderland!

Laramie Castiel
Bishounen Gemu Staff
Bishounen Gemu Staff

Faction Faction : Diamond
Posts : 710
+Gold : 1808
+Like : 141
Awards :
Events :

Back to top Go down

default Re: How important is an otome game's seiyuu cast to you?

Post by vocaotome on 16/04/13, 08:49 pm

I have a rather long list of favorites, and I love it if any of them appear in an otome game I'm playing. However I am always open to new seiyuus as well. For example, I haven't figured out the seiyuus of "The Second Production" but I think they did a good job overall. However, I do have a level of quality I expect from the voice acting-if it is either too dull and lifeless or too shrill and high it irritates me, and I get pretty mad when proper emotion isn't put into the voices, it can completely ruin the mood.

_________________
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
My tumblr
Alice series shrine
PSP game resources

vocaotome
OH! Uploaders
OH! Uploaders

Faction Faction : Spades
Posts : 86
+Gold : 488
+Like : 29
Awards :
Events :

http://vocaotome.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

default Re: How important is an otome game's seiyuu cast to you?

Post by spicy_diamond on 16/04/13, 09:01 pm

I put 'Somewhat'. But really? If Akira Ishida is in it, that's enough to bump an 'I don't know' into a 'Yes please'. There's a couple other seiyuu I've started to keep a heads up on, but he's the only one who will push me into buying something.

Put at the same time, I've sort of stopped thinking of it in terms of Japanese vs Me, the non-Japanese fangirl. So long as it's a sexy male voice purring in your ear, does the language barrier really matter anymore? XD

_________________
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

spicy_diamond
OH! Scanlator
OH! Scanlator

Faction Faction : Joker
Posts : 181
+Gold : 451
+Like : 22
Awards :
Events :

http://spicy-diamond.livejournal.com/

Back to top Go down

default Re: How important is an otome game's seiyuu cast to you?

Post by Laramie Castiel on 16/04/13, 09:34 pm

I picked "Somewhat", in case anybody is interested.

vocaotome wrote:I have a rather long list of favorites, and I love it if any of them appear in an otome game I'm playing. However I am always open to new seiyuus as well. For example, I haven't figured out the seiyuus of "The Second Production" but I think they did a good job overall. However, I do have a level of quality I expect from the voice acting-if it is either too dull and lifeless or too shrill and high it irritates me, and I get pretty mad when proper emotion isn't put into the voices, it can completely ruin the mood.

Your opinion is practically the same as mine!

...Though I have to admit, I'm a bit of a seiyuu stalker (not in a creepy way, I promise). If I like somebody's work, I'll check everything they've ever done- even work in anime and drama CDs- and usually find games that interest me from there. I have (unconsciously) memorised a handful of aliases of seiyuu whom appear in R18+ works.

(Waiting for Sakurai Takahiro to join the ranks of an R18+ otome game! Damn his popularity- he don't need to take those jobs! :p)

I've just played the trial for Ozmafia!!, and its "best known" seiyuu are Ichiki Mitsuhiro as Scarlet and Iguchi Yuuichi as Sou. Shingaki Tarusuke, who plays Caramia, is starting to get roles perhaps thanks to the popularity of Bloody Call- at least, VN roles. They all did great, so I'm so looking forward to future roles and how they perform during key dramatic points of the game, in which their talent(s) would be put truly to the test!

spicy_diamond wrote:I put 'Somewhat'. But really? If Akira Ishida is in it, that's enough to
bump an 'I don't know' into a 'Yes please'. There's a couple other
seiyuu I've started to keep a heads up on, but he's the only one who
will push me into buying something.

Put at the same time, I've
sort of stopped thinking of it in terms of Japanese vs Me, the
non-Japanese fangirl. So long as it's a sexy male voice purring in your
ear, does the language barrier really matter anymore? XD

I wouldn't call myself an Ishida Akira fan, but man, he's so talented! :D Total respect. If I were to list the seiyuu that I've started to "keep tabs on", we would be here for ages. I can't empathise with the "ignoring language barrier" thing, since I understand at least 95% of what's been said. Though, I think I would have the same view even if I didn't understand Japanese.

Dummy head mic CDs and games are going to kill me one day!

_________________

My otome media review blog, Purple Nurple Wonderland!

Laramie Castiel
Bishounen Gemu Staff
Bishounen Gemu Staff

Faction Faction : Diamond
Posts : 710
+Gold : 1808
+Like : 141
Awards :
Events :

Back to top Go down

default Re: How important is an otome game's seiyuu cast to you?

Post by The_Cat_Lady on 16/04/13, 09:56 pm

I've noticed something interesting - in order for me to like a certain character I first have to like the voice actor.If I like the voice actor there is a 95% chance that I'll like the character that he's\she's voicing.So yeah - the seiyuu cast is very important to me.

_________________
"It's true that once the wheels of justice begin to turn,
nothing can stop them. Nothing."
― Jill Valentine

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Special thanks to everyone involved in the Black Wolves Saga Translation Project [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]!

The_Cat_Lady
Mahou Shoujo
Mahou Shoujo

Faction Faction : Spades
Posts : 486
+Gold : 749
+Like : 95
Awards :
Events :

Back to top Go down

default Re: How important is an otome game's seiyuu cast to you?

Post by Laramie Castiel on 16/04/13, 10:01 pm

^ I've noticed a similar kind of correlation between me liking a character and who is its portrayer, now that I look back on things. I've even noticed the reverse- if I really liked a character, I tend to end up liking the seiyuu and playing a couple of other games they're in.

_________________

My otome media review blog, Purple Nurple Wonderland!

Laramie Castiel
Bishounen Gemu Staff
Bishounen Gemu Staff

Faction Faction : Diamond
Posts : 710
+Gold : 1808
+Like : 141
Awards :
Events :

Back to top Go down

default Re: How important is an otome game's seiyuu cast to you?

Post by vocaotome on 16/04/13, 10:10 pm

Laramie Castiel wrote:^ I've noticed a similar kind of correlation between me liking a character and who is its portrayer, now that I look back on things. I've even noticed the reverse- if I really liked a character, I tend to end up liking the seiyuu and playing a couple of other games they're in.

Completely true, this is something that has happened to me more times than I can count. If I like a character a lot and he has a good voice, expect me to start stalking that seiyuu at least to some point in the future. :D My Toriumi Kousuke obsession spawned from my adoration for Saitou Hajime from Hakuouki, and currently I am helplessly weak towards Konishi Katsuyuki because of his role as Blood Dupre from the Alice series. I remember not giving a damn about Katsuyuki (I didn't even know about him at that point) when I first heard him as Oga Tatsumi in the Beelzebub anime, but thanks to the power of otoge he's now one of my favs :oops:

_________________
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
My tumblr
Alice series shrine
PSP game resources

vocaotome
OH! Uploaders
OH! Uploaders

Faction Faction : Spades
Posts : 86
+Gold : 488
+Like : 29
Awards :
Events :

http://vocaotome.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

default Re: How important is an otome game's seiyuu cast to you?

Post by Laramie Castiel on 16/04/13, 10:14 pm

vocaotome wrote:Completely true, this is something that has happened to me more times than I can count. If I like a character a lot and he has a good voice, expect me to start stalking that seiyuu at least to some point from that point. :D My Toriumi Kousuke obsession spawned from my adoration for Saitou Hajime from Hakuouki, and currently I am helplessly weak towards Konishi Katsuyuki because of his role as Blood Dupre from the Alice series. I remember not giving a damn about Katsuyuki (I didn't even know about him at that point) when I first heard him as Oga Tatsumi in the Beelzebub anime, but thanks to the power of otoge he's now one of my favs :oops:

Glad I'm not alone, haha! xD
Toriumi Kousuke definitely has a magnificent voice. I'm not a fan, but I've found that I've played a lot of games that feature him. He's hot property! I really like Konishi Katsuyuki, also. Don't be embarrassed! That guy has a wonderful voice. The last game I've played with him in it is probably Akazukin to Mayoi no Mori (R18+), where he plays the Hunter. He's also Lloyd Irving in Tales of Symphonia! Mind blown.

_________________

My otome media review blog, Purple Nurple Wonderland!

Laramie Castiel
Bishounen Gemu Staff
Bishounen Gemu Staff

Faction Faction : Diamond
Posts : 710
+Gold : 1808
+Like : 141
Awards :
Events :

Back to top Go down

default Re: How important is an otome game's seiyuu cast to you?

Post by mistresskisara on 16/04/13, 11:55 pm

I voted for "somewhat important" I like hearing my favorites in otome games but of course they have to do a good job smile My favorites include Takahiro Sakurai, Daisuke Namikawa, Miyu Irino and Kaji Yuki (He seems to be hated by many, because of his "annoying, whiny voice but I like him)

_________________
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

mistresskisara
Main Character
Main Character

Faction Faction : Joker
Posts : 83
+Gold : 105
+Like : 0
Awards :
Events :

Back to top Go down

default Re: How important is an otome game's seiyuu cast to you?

Post by Ace of Hearts on 17/04/13, 12:00 am

Laramie Castiel wrote:He's also Lloyd Irving in Tales of Symphonia! Mind blown.

You just blew my mind too lol.

For me the seiyuu cast is only one factor in a list of factors I take into account. There are seiyuu I have preferences for, but that doesn't mean I won't play a game if none of them are in it. It's just a little incentive if they are in it. The plot, the art, and the characters matter just as much to me. I can be lenient with the art and lack of known seiyuu if the characters and plot sound good.

_________________
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Ace of Hearts
OH! Uploaders
OH! Uploaders

Faction Faction : Joker
Posts : 282
+Gold : 1220
+Like : 42
Awards :
Events :

http://harroe.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

default Re: How important is an otome game's seiyuu cast to you?

Post by TakagouzawaHikari on 17/04/13, 03:15 am

I'm kind of torn between 'somewhat' and 'hardly', but I guess to summarize it, I'm willing to research a game that has my seiyuu biases in it and play, but if I don't like the game then I won't continue with it.

At this point, though, I like so many seiyuu, it's hard to find a game I won't play (except R-18) LOL. My favorites are Miyano Mamoru and Nakamura Yuuichi, but they don't actually have too many otome game roles XD

TakagouzawaHikari
Stalker
Stalker

Faction Faction : Spades
Posts : 17
+Gold : 60
+Like : 1
Awards :
Events :

Back to top Go down

default Re: How important is an otome game's seiyuu cast to you?

Post by Roxas4ever on 17/04/13, 03:35 am

My favorites are Akira Ishida, Tomokazu Sugita, Mamoru Miyano, Daisuke Ono, and Jun Fukuyama. If a game has one or more of them, it's already full of epic win 8)

Needless to say, there is a reason I like Starry☆Sky so much...

Roxas4ever
Mahou Shoujo
Mahou Shoujo

Faction Faction : Clover
Posts : 226
+Gold : 240
+Like : 10
Awards :
Events :

http://leavesofmaple.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

default Re: How important is an otome game's seiyuu cast to you?

Post by Laramie Castiel on 17/04/13, 03:43 am

Roxas4ever wrote:My favorites are Akira Ishida, Tomokazu Sugita, Mamoru Miyano, Daisuke Ono, and Jun Fukuyama. If a game has one or more of them, it's already full of epic win 8)

Needless to say, there is a reason I like Starry☆Sky so much...
Starry Sky would totally be a dream come true for you, then! xD I'll have to agree, Starry Sky's biggest selling point is certainly the voice cast, since it has practically no sexual content in any shape or form (aside from the odd "implied H" thing), is void of dark themes and customer loyalty before the games came out was rewarded with... you guessed it... Free drama CD(s)!

honeybee's marketing skills are incredible, and they invested in the right parts of their franchise for what Starry Sky is all about.

Still, it's so nice to have played Starry Sky after I finished a dark VN or a horror game!

_________________

My otome media review blog, Purple Nurple Wonderland!

Laramie Castiel
Bishounen Gemu Staff
Bishounen Gemu Staff

Faction Faction : Diamond
Posts : 710
+Gold : 1808
+Like : 141
Awards :
Events :

Back to top Go down

default Re: How important is an otome game's seiyuu cast to you?

Post by Topaztan on 17/04/13, 04:09 am

Hmmm, I'm going agree with the bit about being more biased to like a character if the seiyuu is someone I like. I do have a long list of favorites as well... and then there are some voice actors I'm not very fond of at all... :T

TakagouzawaHikari wrote:I'm kind of torn between 'somewhat' and
'hardly', but I guess to summarize it, I'm willing to research a game
that has my seiyuu biases in it and play, but if I don't like the game
then I won't continue with it.

I'm torn between "somewhat" and "hardly" but I ended up picking "hardly" because I felt that in the overall aspects of how good a game is seiyuus are a bonus. With some games especially having good voice acting can make the game worthwhile.

When I have a lot of spare time and a bunch of games to play the ones with the better seiyuu cast are the ones I'd most likely pick up first though.

If I like a voice actor enough I'll continue the route even if it's lame, just put it on auto in the background or something, lol. I don't think I've ever quit an otome game not matter how bad it was.

Starry Sky's popularity is mostly because of the voice cast. Though I do think it's overrated because of them. I can't have been the only one disappointed with the CGs, and I just... Kazuki, wat is ur hair? I still enjoyed the series though.

I think it's kind of unfortunate that English games don't usually have a voice cast, and if you're exposed to enough of English media with voice actors you can tell quickly the voice pool is much, much smaller.

_________________
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Topaztan
Mahou Shoujo
Mahou Shoujo

Faction Faction : Diamond
Posts : 256
+Gold : 729
+Like : 19
Awards :
Events :

Back to top Go down

default Re: How important is an otome game's seiyuu cast to you?

Post by Laramie Castiel on 17/04/13, 04:40 am

Topaztan wrote:With some games especially having good voice acting can make the game worthwhile
Black Wolves Saga is a great example of this. I was already 101% interested since the official website came up. Out comes Bloody Nightmare, and boy, did Yoshino Hiroyuki and Sakurai Takahiro do such good jobs as Auger and Mejojo, respectively. There's no wonder why they're in-demand.

Trick or Alice has a great performance by Tachibana Shinnosuke (who plays Kuro Usagi/Minase Shizuku). He captured a range of emotions perfectly. As did Hino Satoshi, who took the role of both identical twins. Trick or Alice is by no means a masterpiece overall, but good voice acting at crucial moments elevated the dramatic moments.

If I like a voice actor enough I'll continue the route even if it's
lame, just put it on auto in the background or something, lol. I don't
think I've ever quit an otome game not matter how bad it was.
Same here. I haven't ever quit an otome game, ever. Or any visual novel for that matter. I mean, I even finished that mess of an infamous eroge called "Yandere". That was a prime example of capitalisation on trends. I pushed through it, though. So that if I want to complain later, I can say with confidence that I finished it properly.

Starry Sky's popularity is mostly because of the voice cast. Though I do
think it's overrated because of them. I can't have been the only one
disappointed with the CGs, and I just... Kazuki, wat is ur hair? I still enjoyed the series though
So true- even the SIDE characters are voiced by actors who could easily get main roles, like Kondou Takashi and Yoshino Hiroyuki. I do agree that Starry Sky is very overrated. However, I respect it for not being pretentious and just being all about fun. That being said, I don't think I could only play games like Starry Sky forever. Sometimes I want something I can sink my teeth into and/or think about later. *Looks at Black Wolves Saga with adoration*

I'm not sure how familiar you guys are with Starry Sky's history, but I can confidently presume that the intention was for it to garner attention because of its cast. It all started with the Seiza Kareshi drama CD series. All 12 (+ eventually the 13th, Shiki) are voiced by popular seiyuu. I remember first reading the confirmed cast list and almost having a heart attack. honeybee's upcoming game, Seishun Hajimemashita! is not losing out on the epic casting stakes, too.

I think it's kind of unfortunate that English games don't usually have a
voice cast, and if you're exposed to enough of English media with voice
actors you can tell quickly the voice pool is much, much smaller.
So. Very. True. Maybe voice actors are more expensive outside of Japan, so translated media can't afford the more skilled/better-known actors like Tara Strong, Darren Norris, Colleen O'Shaunessey, etc? The better-known English voice actors lend their talents to cartoons and anime dubs.

_________________

My otome media review blog, Purple Nurple Wonderland!

Laramie Castiel
Bishounen Gemu Staff
Bishounen Gemu Staff

Faction Faction : Diamond
Posts : 710
+Gold : 1808
+Like : 141
Awards :
Events :

Back to top Go down

default Re: How important is an otome game's seiyuu cast to you?

Post by Topaztan on 17/04/13, 06:07 am

Laramie Castiel wrote:
Topaztan wrote:With some games especially having good voice acting can make the game worthwhile
Black Wolves Saga is a great example of this. I was already 101% interested since the official website came up. Out comes Bloody Nightmare, and boy, did Yoshino Hiroyuki and Sakurai Takahiro do such good jobs as Auger and Mejojo, respectively. There's no wonder why they're in-demand.

Oh you mean out of the three routes I've finished in that game and I've already heard the best seiyuu? [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] I haven't completed the game yet because
Spoiler:
A-augur... *crumples into a ball and dies* you liar! I'm
still recovering from finishing his route. But the game is there, case
sitting next to me... I-I'm just not ready.
But I will agree they both did a fantastic job, and I'll totally look forward to hearing more of their work.

I'll also agree that Tachibana Shinnosuke and Hino Satoshi did excellent jobs in Trick or Alice,
Spoiler:
Especially Hino Satoshi with Shadow and his crazy yandere spazz.
everyone else has some awesome voices too, except for the Mad Hatter character- Chrono/Tokito? or something, I mean what was Morikawa Toshiyuki thinking when he... just. Ugh.
Laramie Castiel wrote:
That being said, I don't think I could only play games like Starry Sky forever. Sometimes I want something I can sink my teeth into and/or think about later. *Looks at Black Wolves Saga with adoration*

I'm not sure how familiar you guys are with Starry Sky's history, but I can confidently presume that the intention was for it to garner attention because of its cast. It all started with the Seiza Kareshi drama CD series. All 12 (+ eventually the 13th, Shiki) are voiced by popular seiyuu. I remember first reading the confirmed cast list and almost having a heart attack. honeybee's upcoming game, Seishun Hajimemashita! is not losing out on the epic casting stakes, too.


I guess you could say a seiyuu has reached stardom once they've been in a Honeybee series~.

Laramie Castiel wrote: So. Very. True. Maybe voice actors are more expensive outside of Japan, so translated media can't afford the more skilled/better-known actors like Tara Strong, Darren Norris, Colleen O'Shaunessey, etc? The better-known English voice actors lend their talents to cartoons and anime dubs.

Damnit, Dante. Every time. I'm so disappointing by English!you. English Voice acting is apparently a very harsh and competitive field. I can't say I can see why. Though I can say English speakers have Tara Strong. Honestly, the best voice actors right now are all working on My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic. No lie, they have quite the collection of quality voices for that show.

_________________
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Topaztan
Mahou Shoujo
Mahou Shoujo

Faction Faction : Diamond
Posts : 256
+Gold : 729
+Like : 19
Awards :
Events :

Back to top Go down

default Re: How important is an otome game's seiyuu cast to you?

Post by Laramie Castiel on 17/04/13, 07:11 am

Don't get me wrong- they all did well. I also think Hosoya Yoshimasa (Julian) did an excellent job, too, after the cat princes. I'm not sure if you've done his route yet so I won't go further into it. Haha, Auger. I love that guy! My Diamond Faction senses are tickling with that guy. Laramie, you need help.

The Mad Hatter character is yeah- Chrono/Tokitou Tsukasa. I definitely wouldn't call his voice "pleasing on the ears", but listening to Morikawa showing off his range is pretty cool. It suited Chrono's character quite well, I think. If that was part of the intentional plan to make Chrono undesirable, it works!

I guess honeybee is the new "ranking system" for seiyuu that are popular amongst otome gamers. Congratulations to the 13 picked. Can't believe Sakurai Takahiro is only some boring side character in Starry Sky! Blasphemy! Heresy! I'll forgive them only because Inukai got a route in ~After Summer~.

Those bad voice acting videos get to me every time- they're such a good laugh. All of those games should have just abandoned this whole "voice acting" thing. It didn't seem to work. I know I couldn't take Resident Evil seriously if I played the 64 version. That acting is just... nah, it's not even acting.

I have no doubt! The popular Western shows have some amazingly versatile and talented VAs. Like FairlyOdd Parents, The Simpsons and many other Nickelodeon cartoons. When you check out the number of names in the cast list vs. the amount of characters, it's very likely that one actor undertakes at least two roles. On The Simpsons, Lisa (Yeardley Smith) is the only one out of the Simpson family that has just the one role. Everyone else has multiple roles. As for Harry Shearer and Hank Azaria, they play so many extras with mind-numbing skill. So much respect!

_________________

My otome media review blog, Purple Nurple Wonderland!

Laramie Castiel
Bishounen Gemu Staff
Bishounen Gemu Staff

Faction Faction : Diamond
Posts : 710
+Gold : 1808
+Like : 141
Awards :
Events :

Back to top Go down

default Re: How important is an otome game's seiyuu cast to you?

Post by rene05 on 17/04/13, 07:13 am

When there's Otome Game/Anime release....the first thing I check is the cast..seiyuu..LOL.....My fav seiyuu is Ono Daisuke, Taniyama Kishou, Nakamura Yuuichi, Kishio Daisuke, Kaji Yuuki, Hino Satoshi.... ( I can remember seiyuu name more than Japanese actor name...LOL.....) So it's kind of important for me...there's must be at least one of my fav seiyuu in the game... and that's how I choose my character/route.....

_________________
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Ikki.....=))

rene05
OH! Uploaders
OH! Uploaders

Faction Faction : Spades
Posts : 63
+Gold : 335
+Like : 14
Awards :
Events :

http://mirei05.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

default Re: How important is an otome game's seiyuu cast to you?

Post by Topaztan on 17/04/13, 08:21 am

Laramie Castiel wrote:Don't get me wrong- they all did well. I also
think Hosoya Yoshimasa (Julian) did an excellent job, too, after the cat
princes. I'm not sure if you've done his route yet so I won't go
further into it. Haha, Auger. I love that guy! My Diamond Faction senses
are tickling with that guy. Laramie, you need help.

I love Auger, too, of course. But it was just so intense. I'm in the Diamond Faction too, you're not the only crazy one here.

Laramie Castiel wrote:Those bad voice acting videos get to me
every time- they're such a good laugh. All of those games should have
just abandoned this whole "voice acting" thing. It didn't seem to work. I
know I couldn't take Resident Evil seriously if I played the 64
version. That acting is just... nah, it's not even acting.

Voice droning... ? Really, if you take two seconds to search Youtube there are much better amateurs than we have professionals. No excuses, game dubbers, NO EXCUSES. You're right about the cartoon VA's though, even 4Kids wasn't a good anime dubbing company but they did have Veronica Taylor who did Ash, Delilah (Ash's mom), and May in the Pokemon anime. At one point she voiced TWO main characters. That's pretty impressive. Not as impressive as some of the other VA's you've already listed, but totally worth a mention.

IDEK WHAT IS UP WITH ENGLISH VOICE DUBBERS. THEY NEED TO REWORK THE SYSTEM, YO.

rene05 wrote:My fav seiyuu is Ono Daisuke, Taniyama Kishou, Nakamura Yuuichi, Kishio Daisuke, Kaji Yuuki, Hino Satoshi.... ( I can remember seiyuu name more than Japanese actor name...LOL.....) .

Pfft, My friends get so mad when I don't remember the names of everyone in a K-POP idol group or new K-drama, but the only seiyuu they know is Romi Paku. >_>

_________________
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Topaztan
Mahou Shoujo
Mahou Shoujo

Faction Faction : Diamond
Posts : 256
+Gold : 729
+Like : 19
Awards :
Events :

Back to top Go down

default Re: How important is an otome game's seiyuu cast to you?

Post by Laramie Castiel on 17/04/13, 09:29 pm

Topaztan wrote:I love Auger, too, of course. But it was just so intense. I'm in the Diamond Faction too, you're not the only crazy one here.
I think I know which ending you were referring to... and I'll agree if it's the one I'm thinking you're thinking of. BWS was SO good that it's hard to pick a favourite route. I thought that everyone who wasn't Auger, Mejojo or Julian had weaker routes, but they were certainly better than the majority of routes out there. I'm so thankful.

Topaztan wrote:Voice droning... ? Really, if you take two seconds to search Youtube
there are much better amateurs than we have professionals. No excuses,
game dubbers, NO EXCUSES. You're right about the cartoon VA's though,
even 4Kids wasn't a good anime dubbing company but they did have
Veronica Taylor who did Ash, Delilah (Ash's mom), and May in the Pokemon
anime. At one point she voiced TWO main characters. That's
pretty impressive. Not as impressive as some of the other VA's you've
already listed, but totally worth a mention.

IDEK WHAT IS UP WITH ENGLISH VOICE DUBBERS. THEY NEED TO REWORK THE SYSTEM, YO.
Some amateurs really are better. Though, a majority of YouTube narcissists have as much as in voice acting as the ones in the bad acting videos I posted. Especially Let's Play people. I cringe when they attempt to act out the lines of the game. I like watching playthroughs without commentary. If I can't find that, maybe a walkthrough, and the commentary should primarily be helpful. The only Let's Play I like is Angie Gallant's work, which is like most forum Let's Plays- just post screenshots and comment on them. She's so hilarious- as are her fans.

Topaztan wrote:
rene05 wrote:My fav seiyuu is Ono Daisuke, Taniyama Kishou, Nakamura
Yuuichi, Kishio Daisuke, Kaji Yuuki, Hino Satoshi.... ( I can remember
seiyuu name more than Japanese actor name...LOL.....) .

Pfft,
My friends get so mad when I don't remember the names of everyone in a
K-POP idol group or new K-drama, but the only seiyuu they know is Romi
Paku. >_>
Seriously, the people on OH have excellent taste in seiyuu, LOL. We'll probably all eventually play 80% of each other's backlogs, haha. Maybe because I already know the language, I have no trouble remembering the names.

They probably only know Romi Park 'cos she's part-Korean, LOL... or maybe because she's super-duper famous. And totally awesome. I just don't get the K-Drama and K-Pop craze. I swear it's not racism just because I'm part-Japanese, too!

_________________

My otome media review blog, Purple Nurple Wonderland!

Laramie Castiel
Bishounen Gemu Staff
Bishounen Gemu Staff

Faction Faction : Diamond
Posts : 710
+Gold : 1808
+Like : 141
Awards :
Events :

Back to top Go down

default Re: How important is an otome game's seiyuu cast to you?

Post by Topaztan on 18/04/13, 01:30 pm

Laramie Castiel wrote:
Topaztan wrote:I love Auger, too, of course. But it was just so intense. I'm in the Diamond Faction too, you're not the only crazy one here.
I think I know which ending you were referring to... and I'll agree if it's the one I'm thinking you're thinking of. BWS was SO good that it's hard to pick a favourite route. I thought that everyone who wasn't Auger, Mejojo or Julian had weaker routes, but they were certainly better than the majority of routes out there. I'm so thankful.

I think I know what you mean, out of the routes I have finished they've all been brilliant. I think it's because the more I think about the events in the game the stronger they become, and this game is impossible to not think about. (Oh, I did man up and finish some more of the game today~ adskhfshfa. <3) Though if everyone's routes were as intense and the Twins... well... I'd...

Laramie Castiel wrote:Some amateurs really are better. Though, a majority of YouTube narcissists have as much as in voice acting as the ones in the bad acting videos I posted. Especially Let's Play people. I cringe when they attempt to act out the lines of the game. I like watching playthroughs without commentary. If I can't find that, maybe a walkthrough, and the commentary should primarily be helpful. The only Let's Play I like is Angie Gallant's work, which is like most forum Let's Plays- just post screenshots and comment on them. She's so hilarious- as are her fans.
I am so picky when it comes to LPer's Ohmygod, do one thing wrong or unfunny and I close the tab. I tend to like the commentaries because some games are just boring to watch without them, but commentary is something I nitpick. The worst thing has to be talking through a cut-scene. >:U Angie Gallant did the Hatoful Boyfriend LP, funny stuff. Picture/forum LPs are always the best. I promise I don't stalk and lurk the Brokenforums Let's Players.

Laramie Castiel wrote:Seriously, the people on OH have excellent taste in seiyuu, LOL. We'll probably all eventually play 80% of each other's backlogs, haha. Maybe because I already know the language, I have no trouble remembering the names.

They probably only know Romi Park 'cos she's part-Korean, LOL... or maybe because she's super-duper famous. And totally awesome. I just don't get the K-Drama and K-Pop craze. I swear it's not racism just because I'm part-Japanese, too!
It's going to be horrible when a new game comes out and you can see the division of who's played it right away and the people who have put it in their backlogs. xD I don't have much trouble remembering names, but I goof up a lot when it comes to remembering super long Japanese titles for games/anime/manga. That's probably just a me thing though. I'm 90% sure they know who Romi Paku is because a certain shota named Hitsugaya Toshirou. But, she's still super talented and amazing~.

I'm not totally with the K-pop stuff, but hey, some of the music is super catchy, what can I say.

_________________
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Topaztan
Mahou Shoujo
Mahou Shoujo

Faction Faction : Diamond
Posts : 256
+Gold : 729
+Like : 19
Awards :
Events :

Back to top Go down

default Re: How important is an otome game's seiyuu cast to you?

Post by eigengrau on 18/04/13, 02:16 pm

Being a seiyuu fan, I can say that the cast means a lot to me, but not enough to not want to try a game just because my favorites aren't in the cast ^_^ If the story is good then even if my biases aren't there -- heck, even if there are no voices in the game, I'll try it. smile

Most of the times though, I discover games because of my biases. (errrr... I started to play BL games too thanks to Miki Shinichiro orz) I try them a little, if it's good then yay~ If it's not that good or if the character my bias is voicing isn't really likable then I'd drop that game xD

But regardless of what I say in the end I'll still be willing to play anything with Midorikawa Hikaru, Ono Daisuke or Suzuki Tatsuhisa in it.... orz

_________________
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

eigengrau
Transfer Student
Transfer Student

Faction Faction : Clover
Posts : 49
+Gold : 190
+Like : 5
Awards :
Events :

Back to top Go down

default Re: How important is an otome game's seiyuu cast to you?

Post by Laramie Castiel on 18/04/13, 02:48 pm

Topaztan wrote:I am so picky when it comes to LPer's Ohmygod, do one thing wrong or
unfunny and I close the tab.
I tend to like the commentaries because
some games are just boring to watch without them, but commentary is
something I nitpick. The worst thing has to be talking through a
cut-scene. >:U Angie Gallant did the Hatoful Boyfriend LP, funny
stuff. Picture/forum LPs are always the best. I promise I don't stalk and lurk the Brokenforums Let's Players
OMG, this is me so much! If the commentator so much as tries to voice act, that's it, LOL. Down goes to tab! Any dumb reference to an anime I dislike, down goes the tab! Seriously, it's like I have a discriminatory disease... :/

Yes, yapping through a cutscene should be punishable by the removal of their video, haha. Still, for me, the whole try-hard-seiyuu thing annoys me the most. Haha, have you read Angie Gallant's LP for the first Tokimeki Memorial Girl's Side? Some of her fans post amusing stuff like this:

"Elephant Judges You"
Srsly, it totally does! Then there's the giraffe in the second TMGS...
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

"Tsunderesaurus"
Love the hasty, yet effective 1337 shoopin'.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Topaztan wrote:It's going to be horrible when a new game comes out and you can see the
division of who's played it right away and the people who have put it in
their backlogs. xD I don't have much trouble remembering names, but I
goof up a lot when it comes to remembering super long Japanese titles
for games/anime/manga. That's probably just a me thing though.
Spoilers may be very hard to dodge on this forum, eventually. I guess the solution is to just avoid the threads of games you've yet to finish. I know a lot of forums have anti-spoiler rules, but ultimately, I think it's the responsibility of the reader. I agree with making avatars, sigs and topics spoiler-free, though. That's understandable. My backlog is so massive... probably because I add whatever interests me. I'm not really picky with genres, settings, actors, console, etc.

Even though I've been speaking Japanese for years, I still verbally goof on titles like "Ore no Imouta ga Konna ni Kawaii Wake ga Nai" and "Ore no Kanojo to Osanajimi ga Shuraba Sugiru." Seriously, light novel authors, try and be more original with titling and make them shorter, haha. It's kind of scary when the entire plot is rendered almost wholly predictable in a single title. Maybe there may be some twists and turns, but I'm sure a lot of seasoned anime fans would quickly realise the gist of what will happen, who will get together, etc.

eigengrau wrote:Most of the times though, I discover games because of my biases.
(errrr... I started to play BL games too thanks to Miki Shinichiro orz) I
try them a little, if it's good then yay~ If it's not that good or if
the character my bias is voicing isn't really likable then I'd drop that
game xD
Same here! I'm sure I've mentioned it somewhere else (I'm very prolific on this forum, totally need to sleep and all that) that I can go into research/stalker-mode for a voice actor I like and check up on everything they've been in. From there, I discern whether or not a game is to my tastes. Speaking of Miki Shin'ichirou, Suzuki Tatsuhisa and BL... here's hoping you checked out Luckydog1. That's a great game with BOTH of them in it. ;D

I just can't bring myself to drop a game, no matter how agonising it is. I'm one of those 100% completists. Can't leave a game alone until I've gotten everything. It's kinda sad, but I feel that I learn and interpret things a lot more by devoting more time to each route. That level of "dedication" sometimes helps me uncover stuff I like about my least favourite route, etc. I didn't drop Toiro Komachi ~Kurenai ni Somaru no Toki Made~ nor Ijiwaru My Master; both of which are substandard games IMO (the former still being way better than the latter).

_________________

My otome media review blog, Purple Nurple Wonderland!

Laramie Castiel
Bishounen Gemu Staff
Bishounen Gemu Staff

Faction Faction : Diamond
Posts : 710
+Gold : 1808
+Like : 141
Awards :
Events :

Back to top Go down

default Re: How important is an otome game's seiyuu cast to you?

Post by Topaztan on 18/04/13, 03:24 pm

Laramie Castiel wrote:Haha, have you read Angie Gallant's LP for the first Tokimeki Memorial Girl's Side?
Not yet, but now I will be. xD


Laramie Castiel wrote:Spoilers may be very hard to dodge on this forum, eventually. I guess the solution is to just avoid the threads of games you've yet to finish. I know a lot of forums have anti-spoiler rules, but ultimately, I think it's the responsibility of the reader. I agree with making avatars, sigs and topics spoiler-free, though. That's understandable. My backlog is so massive... probably because I add whatever interests me. I'm not really picky with genres, settings, actors, console, etc.

Even though I've been speaking Japanese for years, I still verbally goof on titles like "Ore no Imouta ga Konna ni Kawaii Wake ga Nai" and "Ore no Kanojo to Osanajimi ga Shuraba Sugiru." Seriously, light novel authors, try and be more original with titling and make them shorter, haha. It's kind of scary when the entire plot is rendered almost wholly predictable in a single title. Maybe there may be some twists and turns, but I'm sure a lot of seasoned anime fans would quickly realise the gist of what will happen, who will get together, etc.
Ah, yeah... "avoiding threads on games you haven't finished" that's probably the only reason we haven't dominated the BWS thread yet. xD I do try using the spoiler tag, but some stuff just escapes those tags here and there. My backlog has grown in the last few days because of this forum. Oops...

Light Novel authors name stories the same way ones on Quizilla are named.
I wouldn't be surprised if native Japanese speakers still got tongue twisted with titles like that.

Laramie Castiel wrote: I didn't drop Toiro Komachi ~Kurenai ni Somaru no Toki Made~ nor Ijiwaru My Master; both of which are substandard games IMO
I think they're substandard by everyone's opinion, ever. But... who knows, right? Anyone who achieved 100% on Ijiwaru should get like a prize, or seal showing your OCD about completing games dedication/determination.

_________________
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Topaztan
Mahou Shoujo
Mahou Shoujo

Faction Faction : Diamond
Posts : 256
+Gold : 729
+Like : 19
Awards :
Events :

Back to top Go down

default Re: How important is an otome game's seiyuu cast to you?

Post by eigengrau on 18/04/13, 04:01 pm

Laramie Castiel wrote:
Same here! I'm sure I've mentioned it somewhere else (I'm very prolific on this forum, totally need to sleep and all that) that I can go into research/stalker-mode for a voice actor I like and check up on everything they've been in. From there, I discern whether or not a game is to my tastes. Speaking of Miki Shin'ichirou, Suzuki Tatsuhisa and BL... here's hoping you checked out Luckydog1. That's a great game with BOTH of them in it. ;D

I just can't bring myself to drop a game, no matter how agonising it is. I'm one of those 100% completists. Can't leave a game alone until I've gotten everything. It's kinda sad, but I feel that I learn and interpret things a lot more by devoting more time to each route. That level of "dedication" sometimes helps me uncover stuff I like about my least favourite route, etc. I didn't drop Toiro Komachi ~Kurenai ni Somaru no Toki Made~ nor Ijiwaru My Master; both of which are substandard games IMO (the former still being way better than the latter).

Ahahaha yeah that first BL game I tried is Lucky Dog~ \o/

I wish I had your patience! ;A; Even for games I like I usually don't completely finish it... It's just that halfway I lose patience and I have this weird thing that when I get too attached to a character, when I play for another route I feel like I'm cheating (it's okay, you can laugh, I'd laugh at me too xD) and if it's isn't as "good" as the previous character's route I end up quitting xD

orz orz orz

_________________
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

eigengrau
Transfer Student
Transfer Student

Faction Faction : Clover
Posts : 49
+Gold : 190
+Like : 5
Awards :
Events :

Back to top Go down

default Re: How important is an otome game's seiyuu cast to you?

Post by Sponsored content Today at 05:07 pm


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum